Thursday, August 13, 2009

Review - Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler


Released: June 2009
Publisher: Little, Brown
Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Pages: 304
Source: Won


Rating: ♥♥♥♥

According to Anna's best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie - she's already had her romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.
---

Right from the beginning, I was captivated by this book. Anna and Frankie were such great characters. I loved the dynamics between the two.

Anna was an easy character to relate to. She had a certain quality in her that I think will make any reader like. Frankie on the other hand, could drive you nuts at times. But I still really enjoyed her. Sure there were times where I wondered why Anna put up with her. Then I admired her because it showed how true of a best friend she was. There were a few glimpses here and there showing the 'old Frankie', but I wished there was a little bit more though. That would probably be my only complaint (and a minor one at that).

I was so impressed on how the story started with Matt already gone, but yet he seemed so much alive. In my bookworm lover way, I couldn't help but grin when I read that Matt jammed out to the Grateful Dead. (Of course, not so giddy after what happened when one of my favorite songs by them was playing.) The setting for this book and how it was described was perfect. It made me want to go to the beach so bad. Sadly, I live in Missouri so this cannot happen.

Overall Sarah Ockler was able to weave in the perfect sync of friendship, love, laughs, family, loss, and most importantly healing all in one. If you haven't picked this one up yet then I have no idea what you're waiting for. It's a must read!


♥amber

3 comments:

Sab H. said...

I was so sad at first, but you know things happen! Great book!

JennM said...

I am going to read this book this week, have been looking forward to it for a while.

prophecygirl said...

Great review, I need to read this soon, I've heard nothing but good things about it!

By the way, love your new image header :D