Sunday, August 2, 2009

Review - City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Book Two in the Mortal Instrument Series



Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?



---


You know when you get into a series and you have to think if the next one will even meet the expectations? That's something you won't have to worry about with this one. City of Ashes completely delivers! There is so much going on in this series, all the twists and turns, I stayed up almost all night to finish it. I think my love for this series is not only the incredible writing, but the fact that it's written in third person as well. It's awesome to be able to see other characters and get a better feel for them this way instead of only seeing them through one person's eyes.

All the main characters are still great. You have to admire the humor in this story. I do believe Simon is hands down the number one best friend any girl could have in their lives. The guy deserves a freakin' medal. While some characters made me want to shake them due to their actions and reactions on things (i.e. Clary and Jace). It also made me think of them as more normal because of it too. I wasn't for sure how to take their relationship either. (I kept referring it to a Flowers in the Attic type deal.) But after I put down the book, I realized how much I love the forbidden relationship. Valentine is also one of the best villains too.

Basically this series is just WOW! The plot line is wonderful with the mix of some many other things. I love how mythology and some parts of Christianity have been spread throughout it. If you haven't picked up City of Ashes yet then I am ordering you to RUN to the nearest bookstore and grab yourself a copy!




♥amber

8 comments:

Sab H. said...

I loved this series!!! Book 3 is the best!!

prophecygirl said...

Yay, glad you enjoyed it! Are you reading Glass soon? It's the best, in my opinion - bloody brilliant!

a flight of minds said...

The Mortal Instruments series is just so amazing. I agree with the other two, City of Glass is definitely the best. And that's saying a lot, since all three are awesome! Great review! :)

- Alex

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Completely agree with you guys! I finished Glass the other day - I'm just behind on my reviews...oops!

Amber

Sarah said...

I loved this series too! And I spent half the night to read CoA also. The next one is going to be amazing. I think you'll really love it.

Happy reading, and thanks for the great review!
Sarah.

Em said...

Book 3 is just as good! :)

Jen said...

Glad you enjoyed it!

Hope you have fun with Book 3 also ^_^

Debbie's World of Books said...

Loved this series and was really happy with the way it ended in book 3.