Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Review - City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that enter-ing the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?



---


While I easily breezed through the first two books in the series, this one took me a bit to read. Not because it wasn't good. I just didn't want it to end, and someone was also taunting me with a death toll. (Which I will not do to you - I have my co-workers to be evil towards now.)

When getting attached to characters and a series, it's hard to see it go. I was so scared that I might not like it. This is the end, and some endings in other series have made me want to throw the book across the room. City of glass was excellent though. The characters and their relationships grew and grew and I was so pleased to see where most of them ended up. Everything came together in the end, but not in a neatly tied ribbon way. I was very happy because of that. It made it seem more realistic.

There are tons of things I would love to spill out here, but like always, I'd give too much away. Basically the Mortal Instruments series is hands down full of awesomeness. Cassandra Clare's has a wonderful, wild, and unique imagination. I'm still blown away by how she describes things and all the details that were put into this book. It really makes the world of Shadowhunters come to life.




♥amber

7 comments:

Sab H. said...

I know!! I LOVE this book!!! Great review......

prophecygirl said...

Yay, I knew you'd love it!

It's sad to see it end, eh? I'm still hoping for more Jace/Clary in the future!

Sarah said...

I love the Mortal Instuments and Cassandra's beautiful writing. I'm glad that you enjoyed CoG. It's probably my favorite of the series. And I love how you pointed out that not all the loose ends were tied up. There is still the sense of wonder of what will happen to them.
But there is also the prequel to this series, The Infernal Devices. I can't wait for the first one, The Clockwork Angel, to come out next year.

Lovely review! :)

Amy said...

I feel the same way! I was so sad to see it end, but it did tie everything up nicely... I'm gonna miss Jace and his sarcastic humor, but hopefully her new books(the infernal devices) will fill that jace-less hole:-D
-AMY

Natascha De Marco said...

I loooved this book!! The ending was... perfect.

Dee Martin said...

Loved this series and felt much like you did - scared to finish the last one because if I hated it I would have been so depressed. No worries though and I am looking forward to the prequel!

ally said...

I could not have reviewed it better *and that's setting aside the fact that i don't review books xD*. I just finished CoG today (i told myself i'd read all 3 books during my vacations yet, as you say, i breezed through books 1 and 2 *read them in 2 days* and read CoG in 4 DAYS) and i'm sad and happy at the same time. I loved TMI and can't wait for CoFA (i wonder what Cassie is up to... i thought she'd leave it at 3 books) and the prequel series ID.