Thursday, April 1, 2010

Rock This! Thursday with author Mandy Hubbard

This week I'm excited to have Mandy Hubbard hanging out with us to discuss books and music. Mandy was a 2009 debut author and has another book coming out this year. Did I mention she just became an agent as well? Yeah she's pretty awesome. You can also check out my review of Prada & Prejudice here.


I've been following your blog for a while now and you've become quite the busy lady! With being an author under two different pen names and now being an agent, is it hard juggling all of it?

It certainly can get hectic and crazy, but man, I can't complain! I feel like I'm living the dream. So if that means sometimes I dont get to bed before midnight or I have three weeks of my favorite shows sitting on the DVR, it's a small price to pay.

You're walking down the street - what song is following you?

This sounds lame, but I love La La Land by Demi Lovato. The opening, "I am confident, but I still have my moments..." I ♥ cheesey pop music.

You're definitely an author that really inspires other writers to never give up. With only one book officially out in book stores, you also have many others coming out in the next two years. Can you tell us about a couple of them?

I am SO excited about my August release, YOU WISH. It's about a cynical teen who gets every wish from past birthdays, one at a time, including a life-sized My Little Pony, A real-life Ken who thinks she's his barbie, and a year's supply of gumballs. She's desperate to stop the wishes before it gets to the last one-- a kiss from Ben Mackenzie. Becuase Ben is her best friend's boyfriend.

Another I'm DYING to share with the world is SHATTERED (the title is up for change) which is a super dark book about a girl in an abusive relationship. It's so different from my other books, and I'm eager to see how people react to that. It's still a year away, though!


Do you ever make playlists for your novels? If so, care to share a few songs?


Shattered, the above book, is the only one I've done a playlist for. Included: HATE ME by Blue October, Face Down by Red Jumpsuit Aparatus, My Immortal By Evanescence, Angry all the time by Tim McGraw.....

Who is your favorite band/artist? Why are they your favorite?


Probably Taylor Swift. No matter what my book is about, there's always a Taylor Swift song that fits it. I'm also a pop music junkie, so Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Backstreet Boys.... I could go on.

Do you ever base characters off anyone you know?


No. I do steal their names, though. The three main girls in YOU WISH are named after my cousins: Kayla, Nicole, Janae.

You've been given a golden concert ticket to see ANY band from any decade. The only catch is you have to take one of your characters with you. Who is it going to be and what concert are you attending?


Oh lord. Can I take Kayla from YOU WISH to see The Backstreet Boys? "Cus she'd think its torture. That might be fun.

Then again, I've always wanted to hang out with a Duke....

Out of all your novels, is there one that is a little more special to you then the others?


Prada and Prejudice will awlays be special. I dont think I'll ever go through 9 drafts of something again. I know that book like the back of my hand. Nowadays things are written, edited, and copyedited in under a year.

We're always up for new music. Tell us five of your all time favorite songs.

My "favorites" change constantly, though my all time will always be "The Change" by Garth Brooks.
But the next 5 songs on shuffle are:
Save Tonight ( Eagle Eye Cherry)
I'm not that girl (Wicked Soundtrack)
Take a bow (The Glee Cast version)
Bring on the rain (Jo Dee Messina)
Real World (Matchbox 20)


Save Tonight is one of my all time favorite songs :) Have you had any 'rock star' writing moments?


HA. Crazy, but someone just told me today I was a rockstar and they freaked out that I commented on their blog. An I was like, HUH? Really? Some people make me feel like I'm made of awesome and it is SO flattering and sweet!

Thanks so much for hanging out with us, Mandy! I don't know about you guys, but I'm very excited for all of her upcoming releases over the next two years :) Wanna know more about Mandy? Check out her website!

6 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Very cool! I have been itching to try this author.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I haven't heard Save Tonight in forever! Off to youtube I go!

Another great musical interview. I really like this feature lots and lots :)

dkm1981 said...

Great interview! I found you through the blog hop and am now following you! Would love for you to come and have a look at my blog.

Sab H. said...

Yay for Taylor Swift!! haha Great interview! ;D

Anonymous said...

I really want to read You Wish by her.. I just love the cover!

Llehn said...

Mandy Hubbard has some of the most astute observations! And she's funny too.