Monday, April 12, 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater


Released: August 2009
Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Genre: Young Adult - Series - Paranormal
Pages: 392
Source: My bookshelf

Rating: ♥♥♥♥

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.


Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

---

There had been so many fantastic reviews about Shiver, I thought it was going to be one of those books I wasn't able to put down. Everyone kept going on and on about it, but when I started it, I was a bit bored. I had no idea why everyone thought it was great. Grace wasn't anything special to me. She's normal and there's nothing wrong with being normal, but she just kind of bland.

The only part that really held my interest was Sam. I loved reading his point of view and what can I say, I'm a sucker for some 'damage goods'. I kept trucking through the book thinking something was bound to happen. Something that would hook me and not let me go. It was really starting to bum me out how not so interested I was in the book. Especially since Maggie's writing is very wonderful. I loved how she described things, but the plot just wasn't working for me.

Then it happened. I was finally hooked and I couldn't get enough of what I was reading. And Grace became more appealing to me around that time as well. And Sam, well Sam just kept on winning my heart throughout the whole thing.

I'm not for sure if this book is for everyone. It's more of an emotional read and you really need to be a fan of romance to enjoy it. Grace and Sam's relationship was very spot on. Anyone who loves a read like this cannot say these two weren't meant to be together. I was very nervous towards the end, and that ending was written so well!

In all, this read did turn around for me and I'm glad I stuck with is. I'm pretty anxious to see what's going to happen in Linger.

♥amber

10 comments:

Ng said...

What a great review! I have this to read - I bought it because everyone raves about it - but haven't yet gotten around to reading it!

Amie McCracken said...

I saw this at the bookstore a few months back but had to decide between it and three others. I'll have to check it out, but I'm hesitant now. Romance is not normally my thing.

Adriana said...

It also took me a while to really get into, but by the end I was hooked. I'm really looking forward to reading Linger now.

Jamie said...

I will be reading this book as soon as I finish the Richelle Mead's Georgina Kincaid series.

brizmus said...

I'm shocked that you found Grace bland in the beginning. I guess she sort of was just, normal, but to me the beautiful writing made it so that anything else would have felt wrong.
I'm so glad you ended up loving it in the end!

prophecygirl said...

I didn't enjoy this one as much as other bloggers seemed to.. hmm! Maybe I should re-read it one day.

Glad you enjoyed it!

girlsinthestacks.com said...

You know, I liked this book but I did not LOVE it. I actually liked her book Ballad much better.

Samantha LeAnne said...

The more I see people talking about this book, the more I think I finally need to suck it up and buy it already. Fantastic review!

Anonymous said...

I have heard and saw a lot of great things about this book but I have yet to pick it up.. Glad you enjoyed it.

Llehn said...

This is one of my favorite books ever. Granted it's got its faults but I still love it. Maggie Stiefvater is simply brilliant.