Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rock This! Thursday Interview with author Rachel Caine

Yes, you read that right. The awesome Rachel Caine is hanging out with us today to discuss her series, Morganville Vampires, and music!


When writing Morganville Vampires series, did you know how many books were going to be in it? Or did the number grow after so many had already been released?

Truthfully, as a writer, you NEVER know what the life of a book or series is going to be like. I've had things that I really loved just have a heart attack and die on the shelves, never to be seen again ... ! I knew that Morganville was guaranteed originally for three books, and it was a bit of a tough start with GLASS HOUSES, because I was a new name in the field ... but by the time I was working on the third book, my publisher came back and asked for three more. And then three more on top of that. And now we're at twelve, so something must be going well. :)


You're walking down the street - what song is following you?

It's more like that Verizon commercial with the crowd of people following you ... not just one song! But hmmm, if I had an "essential song," I think it would probably be "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley.


Normally I ask for five music suggestions, but sometimes I like to switch it up by asking an author's characters. What five songs would Shane and Michael want us to listen to?

Oooooh, GREAT question! Michael's all about artistry and guitar, so I'd have to say he'd be all over "Woke Up Dreaming" by Joe Bonamassa" (or anything by Joe B., honestly), as well as the amazing work of the California Guitar Trio (trust, me, they do a crazy "Bohemian Rhapsody" and will even play "Freebird" on request. On acoustic. It's hilarious.). He'd probably also love Muse, particularly "Supermassive Black Hole." (He's taking up all the spots here, but Shane agrees with that last one anyway.) Shane loves "The House Rules" by Christian Kane, and "Suzie Silver Wings" by CAUTION CAT. Well, today he does.


Who is your favorite band/artist? Why are they your favorite?

I honestly have a lot of favorite bands, but my constant for at least 10 years now is Joe Bonamassa. In addition to being an amazingly nice person, Joe is one of the single most musically gifted people I've ever known. He's a genius, quite simply, and he can play absolutely anything he wants. Turns out he wants to play blues rock, which is just fine with me, but I've heard him do flamenco and hard rock and country and intricate, beautiful stuff ... I love someone with that kind of power and versatility to their art. Also, he puts on an incredible live show.

You've been given a golden ticket to go to ANY concert from any era. The only catch is you have to bring one of your characters with you. Who are you going to take and who are you two going to go see?

I am totally bringing Eve, and we are totally going to see The Who in the '70s, when Keith Moon was still alive. Because why not? Eve would be barrels of fun no matter where you took her.


I know it is probably hard to choose favorites out of your characters, but is there any one you like writing more?

Honestly, it's a dead heat between Shane and Myrnin, at this point. I love writing both of them way too much. :)


And I love reading about Shane *big grin*. Do you ever base characters off anyone you know?

I usually don't, but every once in a while, I will (with permission). I do sometimes auction off for charity the right to use someone in a book -- the last one chose to be a Djinn in one of my Weather Warden books, and it turned out great!


Do you ever make playlists to go along with your books? If so, could you share a few songs with us?

Oh dear, I'm ADDICTED to playlists. It's the first thing I do when I get ready to start a book -- I must have at least 10 songs in the playlist before I start writing.

Here's the playlist for GHOST TOWN, which is the book I just finished:

Bad Romance - Lady GaGa
Hero/Heroine - Boys Like Girls
Unbreakable - Fireflight
What's in the Middle - The Bird and the Bee
Oogie Boogie's Song - Rodrigo y Gabriella
Unconscious Thoughts - Absolution Project
Can't Treat Me That Way - Kate Earl
Blood On My Hands - The Used
The Big Sleep - Oliver Future
Lust for a Vampyr - I Monster
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Kill Your TV - Photoside Cafe
Blue and Evil - Joe Bonamassa
Maybe Tonight, Maybe Tomorrow - Wideawake
Late Nights and Street Fights - Steven Smith
Black Heart - Photoside Cafe
The House Rules - Christian Kane
Fire It Up - Thousand Foot Krutch
Death of Me - Red
When She's Gone - Slang
Suzie Silver Wings - CAUTION CAT
Out in the Real World - Stream of Passion


If Morganville was made into a movie or TV show who would you like to see cast as Claire, Eve, Shane, and Michael?

I'm terrible at this game, mainly because anybody I choose is probably going to be the wrong age by the time something happens ... but I keep hearing Alex Pettyfer as Michael, and I really like that idea. I also like the idea of Spencer Treat Clark for Shane, mainly because of this picture.



That picture does remind me of Shane, though I've always saw Garrett Hedlund as Shane when I was reading :) Next question, What song do you think would make a good book?

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" seems to me to be an incredibly good template for a book. But then again, it probably already IS!


Have you had any 'rock star' writing moments?

Just about every time I do a signing these days, I feel like a rock star. My readers are AMAZING. But I do have to say that having a PRIVATE CHAUFFEURED CAR in Los Angeles was pretty rock-star like. As was staying at the Beverly Hilton. :)

HUGE thanks to Rachel for taking the time to do this. If want to learn more about Rachel's series, don't forget to swing by her website.

5 comments:

Jessica B said...

This was an awesome interview!

Kaylyn said...

I love music, and this interview is just plain awesome. I even found a new song I like ;)

Monster of Books said...

ooh I never pictured Spencer Treat as Shane, but he really does look like him now that i think about it. Great interview, I LOVE this series XD

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh... LOVE this series!! I have read the first 2.. I can't read a series all at one time because I get bored with it.. But I just love this series! Great interview!

Llehn said...

Doesn't everybody love Hallelujah?