Friday, April 2, 2010

The Stillburrow Crush by Linda Kage

The Stillburrow Crush by Linda Kage


Released: February 2010
Publisher: Climbing Rosebud
Genre: Young Adult - Romance
Pages: 202
Source: Around the World Tours


Rating: ♥♥♥♥

Sixteen year old, Carrie Paxton, isn't the most popular girl in her small town of Stillburrow. But that's never concerned her before. Her life revolves around her writing, and she loves her job as the student editor of the school paper.


But when she gets assigned to interview the football team's beloved quarterback, she takes one look into Luke Carter's blue eyes and is a goner. Suddenly, she doesn't like her lowly rank so much. Then her dreamy, popular crush surprises her when he starts to act as if he likes her in return. But there's no way Luke Carter could possibly ever like a nobody like Carrie Paxton. Is there?

---


I think The Stillburrow Crush will be one of those reads most people overlook. I know I did the first time I saw it on a tour site, but I decided to give it a try. I'm a sucker for a small town story. I can't help it. I'm from one. Some people might find things in books about small midwestern towns cliché, but all those clichés are pretty accurate. Stillburrow had the hometome vibe going on throughout the whole story, and I really enjoyed it.

Carrie has got to be the most strong willed, stubborn headed, sarcastic, foot in mouth character I have ever ran across. Linda Kage writes her with so much spunk though she never becomes annoying. She's brutally honest and doesn't care who you are, she'll tell you like it is.  Just about everything this girl said made me smirk. The relationship between her and hunky quarterback Luke (don't you dare call him Lucas) was cute and a sweet one. I liked how they were in a way common characters, but they had so much heart they developed very nicely throughout the story.

While pretty predictable, The Stillburrow Crush is actually had some surprises. At one point in the story, my jaw actually dropped. I love when an author can write a shocker, and make it not so out of place. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised how much I did enjoy this book. If you're not a romance fan, I don't recommend you picking this one up. But if you're like me who loves a good guilty romance pleasure read, give this one a shot.

♥amber

5 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds awesome. Amazing review! :)

Monster of Books said...

Not sure about this one!! I think why ppl may over look it is the cover.

Blaize said...

So glad you enjoyed Stillburrow, Amber!

Llehn said...

I love it when a book surprises you!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this book, it sounds really good.. Great review!