Friday, March 27, 2009

Wake by Lisa McMann

Wake by Lisa McMann

Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pub. Date: December 2008
Age Range: Young Adult
Not all dreams are sweet.
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....


Ok. . . I really loved the plot. Really loved the characters. This was really original and I read it in one day. Here's the thing. The format was not something I liked. I'm not really one of those people who like the "diary format". It starts to get irritating after awhile. So this little problem kept making it hard for me to finish. But because I loved the plot and Janie and Cabel, I HAD to finish. I'll be buying Fade asap, but I know already that its written the same way. Now if I feel this way about how its written, and still find it as a really awesome book, that means Lisa McMann has a wonderful imagination. I'll put aside how I feel about the way it was written just to not miss the story.

The only reason I'm giving this a Four Bookworms review is because of the format. Otherwise, it would get a Five Bookworm review. =(



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean. I do not like diary format ethier. But if you are still going to read the sequel then it must be really good.

Jen said...

Sounds good, I don't like diary format either (its usually written in some weird font)

LeNa said...

I felt exactly the same about the book. The story was great but I found it hart to get used to the writing. I hope u enjoy Fade, its more darker and the story is great!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Lena - I will be getting Fade asap! But I'm happy someone understands what I mean.

It's like a 3rd person diary format, but not written in different font. Which I'm thankful for. But yeah, the story line and the characters surely make up for the format.

-Cheryl