Thursday, March 19, 2009

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox was created by The Story Siren as an awesome way to see what other bloggers around the community are reading.

I made a stop at Barnes and Noble last night and my lovely hubby bought me some books. Six to be exact. =D



So I strolled up and down my favorite isles and cried. There were soooo many books that I wanted and so many that I couldn't get.
I had about 10 books in my hands debating which I wanted the most. There were two that I really wanted (Living Dead Girl, Wicked Lovely) but Barnes and Noble didn't have anymore. I should have had them order them but I think I may just order them off the computer instead.

So, I know there has been not so great reviews from some of the people whose opinions I value, but I wanted to see for myself and I bought the first 3 installments to the House of Night series. I may like it, I may not. To each his own.

Kiss Me Kill Me was one I wanted SO bad! Wake and Evermore were so at the top of my list. So I'm happy with my choice and can't wait to get to reading.



Kiss Me Kill Me by Lauren Henderson

When 16-year-old Scarlett Wakefield transfers from St. Tabby’s to Wakefield Hall Collegiate, she is relieved that no one knows her dark, haunting secret. A few months ago, Scarlett was invited to an elite party with a guest list full of the hottest names in British society, including Dan McAndrew. Before the party, Scarlett had only imagined what it would be like to have her first kiss with Dan, but on the penthouse terrace, Dan leaned in close and she no longer had to wonder.

Their kiss was beautiful and perfect and magical, and then . . . Dan McAndrew took his last breath as she held him in her arms. No one knows how or why Dan died, and everyone at St. Tabby’s believes Scarlett had something to do with it. But now that she’s safely hidden away at Wakefield Hall, Scarlett would rather forget that it ever happened. Only she can’t. Especially when she receives an anonymous note that will set her on the path to clearing her name and finding out what really happened to the first and last boy she kissed.


Evermore by Alyson Noel

Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch. Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste…

Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition. He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets. Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking—and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head. She doesn’t know who he really is—or what he is. Damen equal parts light and darkness, and he belongs to an enchanted new world where no one ever dies.

Wake by Lisa McMann

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does — they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....


Marked (House of Night Book 1) by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Enter the dark, magical world of The House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change--and not all of those who are Marked do.
It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.




Betrayed (House of Night Book 2) by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird has managed to settle in at the House of Night. She’s come to terms with the vast powers the vampyre goddess, Nyx, has given her, and is getting a handle on being the new Leader of the Dark Daughters. Best of all, Zoey finally feels like she belongs--like she really fits in. She actually has a boyfriend…or two. Then the unthinkable happens: Human teenagers are being killed, and all the evidence points to the House of Night.

While danger stalks the humans from Zoey’s old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves. Then, when she needs her new friends the most, death strikes the House of Night, and Zoey must find the courage to face a betrayal that could break her heart, her soul, and jeopardize the very fabric of her world.

Chosen (House of Night Book 3) by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Bloodlust and dark forces are at work at the House of Night, and fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird’s adventures at the school take a mysterious turn. Those who appear to be friends are turning out to be enemies. And, oddly enough, sworn enemies are also turning into friends. So begins the gripping third installment of this “highly addictive series” (Romantic Times), in which Zoey’s mettle will be tested like never before. Her best friend, Stevie Rae, is undead and struggling to maintain a grip on her humanity. Zoey doesn’t have a clue how to help her, but she does know that anything she and Stevie Rae discover must be kept secret from everyone else at the House of Night, where trust has become a rare commodity.

Speaking of rare, Zoey finds herself in the very unexpected and rare position of having three boyfriends. Mix a little bloodlust into the equation and the situation has the potential to spell social disaster. Just when it seems things couldn’t get any tougher, vampyres start turning up dead. Really dead. But, as Zoey and her friends find out, things are not always what they seem…
Cheryl

16 comments:

Steph Su said...

Aww, nice hubby! Happy reading. :)

Unknown said...

Now that's a keeper for sure! :) So much better than diamonds (though diamonds are sparkly!)

Your books complement each other quite well :D

Jen said...

Nice! There are annoying aspects of house of night but they are worthwhile. Not sure about Evermore yet.

The Book Obsession said...

That has to be the best trip to Barnes and Noble..ever. =]
I read Marked and am now obsessed. I cannot wait to contine on with the series.

Anonymous said...

I love B&N and I have the same problem. My boyfriend gets so mad when I stand there for 30 mintues staring at the shelves. He want me to "just pick one". Blasphemy!

I can't wait to read Evernight (in my TBR pile) and the House of Night series is a good read (I guess). There are flaws that annoy me, but don't let me set a bad vibe. They are very well written. :P

Erika Powell said...

i can't even handle all the good books you got! happy reading!

Natascha De Marco said...

You know the House of Night series is actually pretty good, I like P.C.Cast ^^ I have the goddes of the sea book that she write, but have not read it still :s...
And wake is just awesome, I want Fade so bad!! But I have no money :(
And im dying to read Evermore and Kiss me Kill me!!! Agh! Lucky you ^^

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Oh man! I love all over your comments!! I have to say this was definitely the coolest trip to B&N that I have had so far. Lets hope I get more like this!! lol I'm so looking forward to reading them all. I'm starting with Kiss Me Kill Me and working my way to the series. Pretty much what you see in the pic is how I'm going to read them.

Thanks guys, and I'll let you know how I feel about each book!

Happy Readings to you all!!

♥Cheryl

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

^I meant I love all OF your comments! lol

deltay said...

Evermore you'll really enjoy =)

Hmm... I should prob check out the House of Night series sometime too.

And lucky you - getting Wake! I actually received a copy of Fade in the mail this week, but I haven't read Wake yet, so I guess I'll have to hold off until then...

Bookworm said...

Oooh...Evermore! I really want to read that one. And isn't the cover gorgeous? I love the tulips...it makes it so dramatic looking!

susan said...

One day I'll get to Evermore. My tbr is huge.

Nancy said...

Wow!! your hubby is a sweatheart for getting all those awesome books. Every single one of them is great. What are you going to start with first? Wake and Evermore would be my first picks :)

Yan said...

This is like the 4th Evermore I saw in IMMB xD hope you'll enjoy! Wake is addictive, just watch out ;P

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

I'm so looking forward to reaading these books even more now lol. I'm staring with the Kiss Me Kill Me first, only because its smaller lol. I didn't know how else to figure it out. Then I think I'm going to read Wake then Evermore then the series. But, honestly that may change. I'm so bad with picking with to read first. And yes, thank you--my hubby is a sweetheart, sometimes lol. Thank you guys for all the awesome comments!

Cheryl

Reverie said...

ooh yay HON series is great...