Sunday, March 1, 2009

Revealers by Amanda Marrone

Revealers by Amanda Marrone


Released: September 2008
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal - Witches
Pages: 240
Source: Library


Rating: ♥♥♥


Jules has a rebellious streak, a massive crush on Connor, and the abilities of a Revealer witch. By day, she and her coven friends seem like typical high school seniors. By night, they have the power to make werewolves, vampires, and ghosts reveal themselves, so they can destroy them. It's not exactly cheerleading, but at least the girls know they're doing the world some good. 


One by one, Jules's friends turn eighteen and are initiated into the coven's inner circle. And one by one, they are getting completely freaked out. Jules is the youngest, and though her friends are too scared tell her what's going on, something's clearly not right. As her birthday approaches, Jules realizes she's got to find out what's behind the shadows of her coven before it's too late to save her friends...and herself. But what she discovers may be too powerful for even the toughest witches to defeat. 


---


From the start of this story you are thrown right into Jules's life. One that I don't think I would really like - being woken up at 2 AM to go take down a werewolf/demon/ghost...just whatever happens to be lurking the streets that night. Only to have to wake up a few hours later and face high school. So who could really blame her when she starts asking a lot of questions, ones that as I read, I was asking myself.

The other girls and Jules's friends are ones that are easily catchy as well. You might even be able to relate some of your friends to them. Even the leader who is a major bleep sometimes I had to love here and there. You can immediately tell through the dialogue what attitudes they hold. Although I do wish Marrone would write a little less dialogue and more descriptive writing here and there.

Now I don't want to do any major spoilers, which is hard to do considering what happens when the plot starts rolling. But all the things that are going on in the coven - the things that the girls don't find out until their eighteen birthday had me going woah wait, what?! Once you hit the middle of this book, you better stay on your toes. There are twists and turns that I didn't predict coming and I was pleasantly surprised!

This might just be me, but since I read her last book Uninvited not too long ago with the main character being named Michael - seeing the exact name repeated in this book threw me off. I kept thinking of the other Michael instead of the one in this book. But all in all it was a good read, so go check it out!

♥amber

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds really good. I almost got this one. I'll have to go pick this one up.

prophecygirl said...

This sounds better than Uninvited. I couldn't get into that one. Thanks for the review!