Saturday, March 14, 2009

Double Review - Need by Carrie Jones

Need by Carrie Jones (Book 1)


Released: December 2008
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal - Series
Pages: 306
Source: Library/Bought

Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” 


Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal. Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara.


♥Amber's Review

This will probably be the most bi-polar review I've done so far. I was very interested in this book - not just for the cover alone, but the story sounded very mysterious like and something that I would love. From the beginning it didn't grab me like I expected it too. Zara's character wasn't one that I really cared for at first. And yes, I get it, you're in Maine and it's cold. The writing structure of the book was another thing that I really didn't care for. One moment things would flow together and then everything got super choppy.

And Sentences.

That Were Like This.

Drove Me.

Friggin' Nuts.

Now this is where the bi-polar part comes in. I really liked the whole phobia thing and was able to identity a few that I had of my own. Such as the fear of the dark. The mystery behind who is stalking Zara really held my interest. The supporting characters were great. Issie even with her be-bopping self was quite enjoyable. Devyn is a sweetie and Nick...oh that boy just makes me smile. I loved Betty - she's one kick butt Grandma. The suspense to the story made it where I didn't want to put it down.

I've debated all day on what to rate this book since I was so back and forth about it. Since I did enjoy the plot and the surprises, I'm giving this book:

Rating: ♥♥♥.5







Cheryl's Review

I’m definitely a girl who is attracted by book covers. And I’m happy that I caught a glimpse of this one.

Zara, right off the bat was someone that not only can I relate to, but really was interested in learning more about. Her way of “coping” was so unique and interesting and completely cool! Carrie’s characters were typical in a not-so-typical sort of way, which was enjoyable.

There’s the grandmother, Betty, who I really wish I could steal and keep her as my own. She’s fun, energetic and really lets Zara be Zara and deal with her issues on her own terms. Plus she was kick ass funny!!

Then there’s Issie and Devyn. Issie, who I just loved, made me want to hug her and ask her to be my friend. She was sweet, innocent and thoughtful. Her friendship was genuine, that was obvious, and every time I think of her, I think of bunnies. When you read the book, you’ll get that lol. Devyn’s character (without saying too much) just was happy, no matter what situation was given. I really liked that.

Now the best saved for last….Nick. *sighs* Mysterious, gorgeous, athletic and a heavy hero complex. What more would you possibly ask from a guy? I know I wouldn’t ask for anything more!! Nick brings something to this story that was completely unexpected. That’s all I’m saying on him. Otherwise, I’ll give too much away! =D

I do have to agree with Amber about the short sentences. I know they are good and even needed at times, but it was a bit overdone in this book.

And what is this comparison to Twilight? I don’t get why every book that involves paranormal or some type of fantasy that happens to involve teens and possible attractions always gets compared to Twilight. I so far have not found one book--vampires involved or not--that even remotely reminded me of Twilight (which by the way, I’m totally over the hype). But that’s just my opinion, I guess. I didn’t mean to offend anyone--so sorry if I did. =(

Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both are really good reviews! I loved this novel.

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Thank you! I really loved this one too. I can't wait to read more from Carrie Jones.

Cheryl

Jen said...

I really liked that book but I agree that its a bit choppy ^_^ Good point about the Twi-comparisons. I hate that. I especially hate when HP and Twi are compared.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Love how you both do reviews of the same book. I'm new, so question here. Do you do this for every book?