Monday, March 23, 2009

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr + Tattoo Picture

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (Book 2)


Released: May 2008
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal - Fey - Series
Pages: 325
Source: Library

Rating: ♥♥♥♥



Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Courts has altered, and Irial, rule of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow. Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life. The tattoo does bring changes - not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils...


---


This book is a follow up/companion/sequel - whatever you want to call it - to Wicked Lovely. In the first book I became quite attached to the main characters of Aislinn, Keean, and Seth. I wasn't for sure how I felt about the second book being about new ones and this new story for it. Just like the first one, I easily slipped into the world that was created and loved it all over again!

I really liked Leslie's character. She's gone through some horrible things and she puts on this front that everything is okay. Even though you know she's not at the same time you know the girl is still tough. What I really enjoyed was that Leslie had no clue of the world that her best friend was now involved in. It was interesting to see how Aislinn acted around her. Parts where you knew faeries were around, but Leslie had no idea. It had been a while since I had read Wicked Lovely (and my memory sucks by the way), and Marr did a good way of kind of telling what was going on without drawing it out.

Now let's discuss boys here. There is Niall, who I loved. And then there is Irial ,who I also loved. I wasn't for sure which one I was rooting for more. The way the book is written, you get so caught up in the feelings involved in the characters. Both of them obviously care for her, but in the end, I chose Niall. Sorry Irial.
Here is the thing that I am quickly learning and loving about Melissa Marr. You cannot guess how her books are going to end. Well, okay, maybe some of you can, but I can't. In Wicked Lovely, I was convinced I knew how the story was going to end. So and so was going to get with so and so, and the other ones were just going to be left in the dark. (<--That's me trying not to give away any spoilers in case you haven't read the first book.) With Ink Exchange, I kept thinking of every way the book was going to end, and once again wham! Did not see that ending coming at all!

Now I'm all on pins and needles wondering what she has in store in the next installment. I really hope this isn't the last we see of Leslie, but I know things are just going to get more interesting in the Faerie Courts!

And in light of the book being about tattoos, I thought I would show off my very first one that I got Saturday night!





I'm still pretty giddy about it, and to answer anyone that asks: Yes, it hurt. But for the most part it was a tolerable pain. Only in a few spots that only lasted a few seconds was I thinking 'holyfriggincrapstopstop!'.

♥amber

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not read this installment but I will pick it up soon. Excellent review!

And your tattoo is so cute! More power to ya! I am thinking of getting one myself but I am a little frightened of needles...*Sighs* I am a coward.

Jen said...

I could never get into Melissa Mar but my sister loves her!

Exellent reveiw! Maybe I need another try,

Definatly curious about the paint factor. The tattoo is really cute though, like swirly magic.

Anonymous said...

I am listening to this book on audio now. Love it better than the first!

Congratulations on the tattoo!

Bookgeek said...

I loved this book. Yes, better than WL I think. Really liked Niall and wished he featured more prominently in Fragile Eternity (which I've just finished and will review asap)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.