Sunday, July 19, 2009

Review - Evermore by Alyson Noel

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Released: Feb 2009
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch. Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste…

Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition. He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets. Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking—and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head. She doesn’t know who he really is—or what he is. Damen equal parts light and darkness, and he belongs to an enchanted new world where no one ever dies.



---
The main character, Ever, was a likable girl who has some aspects I think some people will be able to relate to. Even if she does have the whole ability to read minds and see people's auras - which I found very interesting and liked how the book just jumped right into things and let the back story come to life as you read.

Ever's two friends, Miles and Haven were enjoyable as side characters. My only thing is that I think Miles was a little too stereotypical. But he did bring a lot of comical parts to the book that had me cracking up at times. Then there's Damen who is hot, no denying it, but I wasn't really feeling him at the beginning. A part of me did wish Ever would backhand him at times. But what really held my interest was the biggest question of the book. What was he? Was he a vampire? Or some stalker magician who has the ability to swoon every time he walked into a room? As the story unfolded he gained some brownie points, but I'm still not completely loving him. There are three more books in the series, so ya never know, I might change my mind.

I liked the idea of story, enjoyed most of the characters, the build up of the mystery behind it was good...but I felt as it it were a little too rushed towards the end. Overall I wasn't completely blown away with it, but I did like it. I would recommend it for those that are looking for a very free flowing fast read.



♥amber

5 comments:

a flight of minds said...

Great review! I also didn't see the appeal in Damen. I wasn't particularly fond of Ever either though. Maybe our opinions will change with the other books...

- Alex

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm having a contest for this book right now. Would you mind linking it? I've been asking lot's of book bloggers to. You can't really have a contest with no one competing lol
--Tashi

MeganDreamer said...

I wanted Ever to backhand Damen and Haven. Well, at least shake her. I didn't like the plot of this book, but its sequel is great!

~ Megan

Natascha De Marco said...

Aww I really loved this book...

And I didnt like Haven at all, and the gay friend at times was more deep, like he knew what was going on and stuff, he knew something was up.

I dont know, thats just me

Steph Su said...

I've only seen positive reviews for this book, seems like, so I'm glad you noticed some of the flaws that I did with this book. It makes me feel a little better now! :)