Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Review - City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Book One in the Mortal Instrument Series

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .


---


I've heard a lot of different opinions on this series. I'll admit, the first time I picked this book up months and months ago, I just wasn't really interested in reading anything paranormal. I thought the writing was great, but it didn't really grab me. Here lately I've been reading of this genre. So I picked the book back up and started all over again. And I'm thankful that I did because I devoured it.

There are werewolves, warlocks, vampires, faeries, demons, and most importantly there are Shadowhunters. More importantly than that, there is a hot one named Jace. I'm sure most of you that have read this book and enjoyed it are probably swooning just by his name. (I know I still am!)

The characters in this story are great. There are so many of them whether they are main or minor ones, but they all work smoothly together. Sure Clary is a little reckless with decisions, but I really liked her. I felt as if I were right there along the way finding out this whole world with her. (Personally, I would have have ran the away way with my arms stretched out in the air in a mad scream if this was my life.) Luckily Clary does have her best friend Simon (who is quirky and hilarious) when she's prepared to do whatever it takes to save her mother. I loved how these two completely different sets of "people" and their worlds clashed together. The book is constantly moving in plot and dialogue. I personally loved the tiffs between Simon and Jace. And Isabelle and Alec's disapproval of mundanes.

Cassandra Clare has a wonderful imagination and has opened up a whole new world within this series. It doesn't matter what age you are. If you enjoy paranormal genre that has a great plot line, secrets, and excellent twists - you will want to pick this book up ASAP!




♥amber

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed City of Bones too. I have City of Ashes, but I haven't read it yet.

a flight of minds said...

Great review! I love the Mortal Instruments series. If you love the first, then you'll also love the second and third, because in my opinion, the series only gets better and better. I love Jace. I don't understand why some don't.

- Alex

Mariah said...

Great review I loved Jace!

Debbie's World of Books said...

I loved this entire series! Clary is a little irritating but I love Jace :)

Natascha De Marco said...

Swooning? More like gasping, craving and fainting!

Give me some more of JACE!!!!!!!

Amy said...

LOL! I love Jace! :-D He has a great sense of humor...I'm glad you liked this book-it only gets better.
-amy

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this series.. I am going to have to look into it!