Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Writers Wednesday - NaNoWriMo Style


I didn't think I would really be able to do it. I kept pumping myself up to write like crazy, but in the back of my head I just knew I'd never really get it done. Then on Saturday, I realized I was getting really close to hitting 50K. After a couple hours of writing on Sunday, I hit that little button on my WORD doc, and almost fell out of my chair.

I wrote over 50K!

I’ve never been so close to finishing any original story of mine, but now I’m doing it. This is CRAZY!

One thing I learned during the process of NaNo is that it's okay to have sucky days where you write pointless scenes that you have no clue where they’re going. I’m not saying all 50K of my novel is crap – though some people could disagree with me here. But I know I would have never written so many scenes if I just didn’t go for it. Before I would just get too frustrated with my characters or where things were going and just toss it aside. (This is also why I have 30 something stories floating around that only have a beginning.)

While I’m still all pumped that I’m so close to finishing, I've taken a break to do some re-writes. This is usually where I get myself in trouble, but I have to weave out the crap. I know what needs to change so the story flows nicely. And ya know what? I like re-writes. It’s all there just waiting for me to either add, take out, or re-do.

So sure, my novel might be a bit of a hot mess right now, but it’s an almost finished hot mess. I owe it all to NaNoWriMo and everyone else who read my snid bits. You've all given me the swift kick in the butt I needed. Thank you!

If anyone is interested in reading more about what's going to be happening to my novel I've made a blog just for that. You can follow me by clicking here.

♥amber

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Amber! You rock!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! That's an awesome accomplishment! =D