Saturday, December 12, 2009

Been There, Done That by Carol Snow

Been There, Done That by Carol Snow

Publisher: Berkley Trade
Released: August 2006
Pages: 336
Genre: Women's Fiction

Rating: ♥♥♥

Plenty of thirtysomething women would be thrilled to look like a teenager. But journalist Kathy Hopkins wishes she could be taken a little more seriously-or, at the very least, order a glass of wine without producing ID. Now her youthful appearance is forcing her into an undercover assignment she could do without: posing as a freshman at a small liberal arts college where, rumor has it, a secret prostitution ring is flourishing.



It could mean a career-making exposé. But right now, pretending to be eighteen means dealing with a Clay Aiken--obsessed roommate, late-night parties that test her aging body--and most embarrassing of all, a massive crush on a guy who's just turned legal. Suddenly, Kathy's got the chance to do it all over again, hopefully better this time. Fortunately she's a quick learner.

---

The beginning of this book came across a little slow for me. Once Kathy was unleashed into her new college life things started to pick up and get very interesting.

I thought I had Kathy pegged from the start. She was a smart and funny type of gal who was still pining over he ex (though I could tell he was a troll right from the beginning), and just trying to boost her own career. When her life turned into a crazy twist of suddenly becoming eighteen again, her true personality came out. I loved she had so many layers. Give this character some booze and force to tell lies and there is no telling what she'll say or do!

The pace of the book was pretty steady. It did a good job of weaving in Kathy's past with her ex-boyfriend, Tim, and how that affected the present. The people she meets during her college stay were a nice add espeically one guy in paticular - Jeremy. I'd love for him to get my RA if ya know, I went to college. The spin of what she was there to report and what was going on always kept me wondering how the end was going to turn out.

My only big complaint is that in a lot of the present scenes the author would sum things up instead of leaving the reader right there with the characters in the scene. This also happened a lot towards the end where I felt some information could have been left out and parts didn't need to be summed up.

All in all I thought it was a great read. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys women's fiction with a mix of humor and smart characters.


♥amber

7 comments:

Sab H. said...

I'll have to check this one out! Thanks =)

Thao said...

Never heard of this one before. Sounds great and it has such a beautiful cover too.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Good review. It sounds cute.

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to read this book for ages but it's always sold out and for some reason only ships every 4-5 months. I'm glad it's enjoyable though, because I've been trying to track it down like crazy haha.

Cecelia said...

This one sounds fun in a Never Been Kissed sort of way. Who doesn't dream of a 'do-over' every once in a while? Nice review - I may just check this out next rainy day. :)

prophecygirl said...

This one sounds great! :)su

Anonymous said...

Great review! And what a beautiful cover!! I love it!