Monday, December 28, 2009

Review - Darklight by Lesley Livingston

Darklight by Lesley Livingston


Released: December 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult - Fae Series
Pages: 320
Source: Around the World Tours


Rating: ♥♥♥♥



Faerie can't lie . . . or can they?


Much has changed since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was a Faerie princess, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved the mortal realm from the ravages of the Wild Hunt. Now Kelley is stuck in New York City, rehearsing Romeo and Juliet and missing Sonny more with every stage kiss, while Sonny has been forced back to the Otherworld and into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the remaining Hunters and Queen Mabh herself.


When a terrifying encounter sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful but destined to be cut short. An ancient, hidden magick is stirring, and a dangerous new enemy is willing to risk everything to claim that power. Caught in a web of Faerie deception and shifting allegiances, Kelley and Sonny must tread carefully, for each next step could topple a kingdom . . . or tear them apart.

---


Darklight quickly takes off where Wondrous Strange left off, and once again I was pulled right into this magical world that Lesley Livingston has created. There were so many secondary characters from the first book that were brought to life more in the second one. I loved reading more on Tyff. She's such a fun character and I love the friendship between Kelley and her. And Fennyrs? Sweet Lord, where has this boy been hiding?!  Halfway through the book I was going Sonny who? 


The second book in a series can be tricky. It still has to hold the reader, but still build up tons of questions for the next installment. While reading, I felt like there was something missing from this story. I can't place my finger on it, either. Yet it wasn't enough to make me not love it because trust me, I did. I think I loved the plot line more than I did in the first one.

The Otherworld was such a fantastic place to read about. I cannot get over how Lesley Livingston writes. She has a wonderful magical way of telling a story that it was hard for me to put this book down. And that ending? Talk about a kick butt battle scene! But yet at the end, my heart was also dropping. There was a lot of things revealed in this one about each of Kelley and Sonny's past, but yet left me with so many questions. I'm dying to know what's going to happen in the next installment! (And of course read more about Fenn.)

♥amber

6 comments:

Sab H. said...

Yep, Fenn is awesome! I saw that as a disadvantage because I kept getting bored of Sonny's drama. So when I finished I kept thinking.. who cares? She still has Fenn! LOL

prophecygirl said...

Yay, I'm so glad it's good! I'm starting it tonight :D

Fantastic Book Review said...

YEAH BABY! Fenn's on my radar too!

I agree my heart did a sick thud at the ending...

in which a girl reads said...

Awesome review, I can't wait to read Darklight! It sounds great :)

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Great review! I'm always a bit iffy on seconds in series too, so I was debating whether or not to read this one. Guess it's decided: yes! And who's this Fenn I've been hearing so much about?! Sounds awesome. :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Great review. I need to check this one out. I liked the first one.