Friday, December 25, 2009

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate

Released: November 2009
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 248
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Around the World Tours

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Natalie Hargrove dreams of becoming Palmetto Princess. The catch? Her boyfriend, Mike King, is in serious risk of losing the honor of Palmetto Prince to Natalie's nemesis, Justin Balmer. And let's just say Natalie and Justin share a history so shady it could cause flowers to wither. 


So Natalie convinces Mike to help her play a naughty little prank on Justin...one that goes terribly, terribly wrong. Blackmail and buried desire, dark secrets, and even darker deeds cause Natalie to unravel. She never should have messed with fate. Because, it turns out, fate is the one thing more twisted than Natalie Hargrove.

---

When I cracked open this book and read the first chapter, I didn't know if I'd even get around to finishing the thing. I couldn't stand Natalie from the start. She was selfish, self-absorbed, and way too hootey-tootey for me. The fact she kept going on and on about Palmetto Princess to the point where I wanted to reach into the book and strangle her. There wasn't much side characters besides Justin who you don't really get to know much about and then Natalie's boyfriend, Mike, who is so whipped, it's sad.

Mike and Natalie's relationship was very realistic though. The back wasn't lying when it mentions the word 'steamy'. There were some moments in this book between Mike and Natalie that I almost felt like a peeping tom while reading. (Though it never gets graphic for those of you who might be wondering.)

But even though I thought I'd put the book down - I didn't. There is something about Lauren Kate's writing that kept me glued to it. It's almost like this love to hate thing watching as Natalie manipulated everyone around her. I wouldn't say I ever really agreed with her actions, but sometimes, she almost made a valid point.

I like how the author weaved in Natalie's past. It never made me feel sorry for her because even at the end, I still didn't like her. But it gave me a better understanding of how she became this person. Basically, this book took me by complete surprise! I love when a book does that. It has some twists I never saw coming. And the ending - wow! At first I had some mixed feelings, but over all it was shocking and perfect. I would recommed this book if you were looking for something a little more on the twisted side and if you are up for some complete surprises.

♥amber

4 comments:

Thao said...

Glad you enjoyed this book. I love Lauren's writing but not sure the the plot is as great. I want to read more from her though.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I love surprises. :P

donnas said...

Great review. I really enjoyed Fallen and her writing. Think I will have to pick this one up too.

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to get my hands on a copy of this book for a long time!!!