Thursday, May 5, 2011

Rock This! Thursday: Concert Edition

On April 22nd my BFFF Shell and I headed to the Shrine Mosque for the Avalanche Tour. The bands were: Art of Dying, Halestorm, Skillet, Theory of a Deadman, and Stone Sour. To say I was pumped about this concert would quite possibly an understatement.

After I got off work, I came rushing home, washed the deli smell off of me, picked up my BFFF, and drove the hour drive that it takes to get there. The thing is, I sometimes forget my way around Springfield and for some reason I thought taking this highway would get us downtown when I was actually going the opposite way of downtown. Thankfully Shell busted out her navigation system on her phone and got us there. We missed Art of Dying's set and caught the tale end of Halestorm.

I was okay with missing Art of Dying since I only knew one of their songs (the one they did with Shaun Morgan *swwooonn*) so if I had to miss a set, I'd pick there's. The last bit of Halestorm we saw, they were awesome! I didn't know many of their songs, but the drummer was a total badass. I think I could just watch a show of him and be happy.

Next up was Skillet and HOLY CRAP they were good! There are only a few songs I know by them, and they sounded so good live. They even busted out a violionist which brought so much more to the show. The crowd was going nuts! It was awesome.


During their break Shell and I made a trip back to the concessions stand to get water. It was so humid inside the building and I thought for sure I would pass out if I didn't get some H2O up in me. Then some other stuff happened that I won't bore you with then Theory of a Deadman took the stage and I went NUTS!

Theory was the band I was very excited to see! I started thrashing around, jumping, and screaming a lot more. I know I've probably dropped the word awesome already, but these guys totally took the word awesome and made it their own. They even played a new song that will be on their upcoming album (releasing in July I do believe) called The Bitch Came Back. It's very catchy. By about the third line, the whole crowd was singing it and Shell and I even busted out a little jig.



After they wrapped up their set, Shell and I made a bee line back to the concessions stand to get water. Before we quenched our thirst we felt the cool air coming through the windows and decided sticking half our bodies outside would be a grand idea. And it was my friends, it really was. And even a grander idea because the guys of Theory of a Deadman came out the door and were walking below us.

I'm not for sure if we said something to them first or maybe they just saw us, but one of the guitarist started to wave. He yelled up to Shell: "Are you looking for the women's bathroom?" And Shell, oh my vulgar and very off-the-wall friend responded with: "No, but are you trying to say you want me to piss on your face?!"

Yes.

You read that right. Piss on your face. THAT'S what she says to rock stars. Gotta love her. The look on the guitarist's face was classic. Then he started laughing really hard and yelled back: YEAH!! I had stuck my head back in the window to control my laughter while Shell yelled at the drummer: Did you like that?! He responded with a YEAH while everyone was still laughing. I stuck my head back out and then the drummer started waving really big at me and said hey. A few seconds later the lead singer came out, and that boy has a little swagger in his walk. He waved at us, we whooted at him, he whooted back then swaggered his way to the bus.

It was fantastic.

After we were done cooling off we went back to the floor to see Stone Sour. As much as I loved Theory of a Deadman, I have to say Cory (lead singer) really knew how to work the crowd. Maybe because he was from the Midwest he just gave the fans more love or something. He had everyone going for the rest of the night and was flat out hilarious. Besides him getting the crowd pumped, they rocked the hell out of that place!



And that wraps up my concert story. Sorry that the pictures kind of suck. I just had my phone, and I was really only taking them to send to a couple friends. Have you seen any of these bands live before? If so, comment with your take on the show!

♥amber

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to looooove Skillet back in the day, but I haven't listened to them in a while. I can imagine they would be great live. Sounds like you had a fun concert!

The next concert I'm going to is a acoustic singer songwriter at a teeny tiny venue, so it will be a little mellower than the one you went to ;)

prophecygirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prophecygirl said...

Sounds like an awesome gig! Stone Sour have some cool tunes but I'm not all that familiar with the other bands. I'm download some of their stuff pronto!

P.S. - Sorry for the deletion, posted before I'd finished typing..

Angel Snyder said...

Wow! Sounds like you had an awesome time! I also saw that tour, and Halestorm was AMAZING! They are also the sweetest band ever! :) Same with Art of Dying. Skillet was amazing as well!
I just started a review blog, and I'm still trying to learn how to cut down my reviews since I know they are super long and NOBODY wants to read a review over 500 words! Lol. :)So if you could follow my blog or have any advise for me, I would love to hear from you! Thank you!
http://909reviews.blogspot.com
Keep up the great reviews! (I'm your newest follower) :)
-Angel