Monday, May 23, 2011

Joplin Needs YOUR help!

I'm sure most of you heard the tragic news that happened to Joplin, Missouri yesterday. A deadly tornado came through demolishing 75% of the town. The last count I heard, they have found 116 bodies. I live about an hour and a half away from Joplin, and last night's storms were damn scary. There were trees in my neighborhood literally bending backwards because of how high the wind was. I've lived in Missouri my entire life, and I'll never get used to tornado season, but this....I've never seen anything like it. These people literally had 5 minutes to take shelter. 5 minutes. Could you even imagine? Watching the news coverage last night, hearing stories of finding people who didn't make it still has me in tears. This could easily have been my town yesterday, and judging by how Mother Nature has been acting lately, it could have even been yours.

My town along with several other cities and towns throughout Missouri are loading up trucks with anything and everything for donations. If you live in Missouri, make sure to call your Chamber of Commerace or City Hall to see what is going on and how you can help. If you are out of state, Heart of Missouri United Way (Columbia, MO) has stepped up and established the Joplin Tornado Relief Fund. 100% of donations will go directly to Joplin United Way, with ZERO overhead. Follow the link, call 573-443-4523 or text "Joplin" to 864833 to donate $10.

If you are on Facebook, make sure to check out The Joplin Tornado Recovery page here.

2 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

My heart goes out to them and you.

Natalie said...

I live an hour north of Joplin, and the damage still shocks me. The pictures were just awful.