Thursday, March 25, 2010

Rock This! Thursday with Author Kristin Walker

I'm very excited today to have debut author, Kristin Walker, here to discuss her new book, A Match Made In High School and music! If you haven't picked up her book, you need too! If you're still not sure after you read this interview, check out my review of her book. I promise I will convince you :)


So how does it feel a month after A Match Made In High School has been released?

I feel like I haven't taken a breath yet. I had no idea how busy I'd be. But it's been amazing. Being on the other side of a book signing is so surreal. Luckily, I've done most of them with my friend, Kristina Springer (THE ESPRESSOLOGIST). She and I pretty much spend the whole time cracking each other up.

When writing the book, where there any songs that reminded you of the story? If so, could you share some?

I've had little kids for the past 11+ years, so my knowledge of current music has stalled a bit. Mostly, all I've gotten to listen to are kids' songs. So there wasn't a specific song, per se for the book at first. There wasn't even much music at all in the manuscript until one of the later drafts. I've always loved the White Stripes, though, and I really thought they reflected the story, so I hit up the awesome Robin Benway (AUDREY WAIT!) to see what she thought. She's this insane music savant, and she gave me the thumbs-up. (Thanks, Robin.) Other than that, I did make it my personal mission to include The Connells, because I really do think they've gotten a bum deal from the music industry. I've loved them ever since I saw them in college. They should have been way more well-known. It didn't help that the record label they signed with got into some loan default kerfuffle, and as a result, Prudential Securities now owns the back catalogue of The Connells' recordings, and is basically doing nothing with them. It's ridiculous. Prudential needs to give The Connells their music back.


You're walking down the street. What song is following you?

Maybe "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" by Simon & Garfunkel. (Look, I'm old. Deal with it.) But if I'm being honest here, it's probably the "I'm Late! I'm Late!" song from Disney's Alice in Wonderland.



Let's say one of the couple activities Todd and Fiona had to do while being married was going to a concert, but it was left up to Todd to decide. Who are they going to go see?

I'm going with Sum 41.


Excellent choice! A Match Made In High School has got to be one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. And I have to ask, how much did you crack yourself up while writing it?

First of all, thank you! I didn't so much crack myself up as I loved the "Yes!" feeling of figuring out a good joke. I did everything in my power never to sacrifice a joke for anything. Even plot. Don't tell my editor that, though, haha.

Your secret is safe with us! Tell us a song that would make an interesting book.

"100 Years" by Five for Fighting. I swear to God, I weep every time I hear that song. You'll see. When you start burning up the track to 40, you will too.

If you could meet one musician - living or dead - who would it be and why?

Only one? Oh, boy. Other than, like, to steal Kurt Cobain's shotgun, or tell Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper not to get on the plane, or to send John Lennon home in a car, I'm going to pick Elton John. How fun would it be to hang out with him for a day? The stories that guy could tell. He knows everyone and can go anywhere. And if he happened to spontaneously break out into "Rocket Man," who would complain? Not me.


If your character, Johnny Mercer, was to give us some music suggestions, what five songs would he tell us to listen to?

My Chemical Romance: Famous Last Words
OK Go: This Too Shall Pass
The Clash: London Calling
Bowling for Soup: High School Never Ends
Queen & David Bowie: Under Pressure



And here I thought my Johnny Mercer crush couldn't get any bigger! Next question, who is your favorite band?


Barenaked Ladies pretty much provided the soundtrack to my love story and life with my husband, so they're it. I wish Steven Page would get his head out of his butt and get back together with the band, though. (P.S. Steven, you're too skinny. Get the beef back on already.) I put "What a Good Boy" in the book during the big kiss scene as a tribute to them.

Have you experienced any 'rock star' writing moments?

Ha! Not exactly. But my launch party came pretty close. It was amazing to have all those people show up just to celebrate with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love "This Too Shall Pass" by OK Go. Both videos they made for it are pretty amazing, especially the second one.

Yes, it's still weird to see BNL without Steven Page. But apparently the solo album he's releasing this year is going to be really good :)

Great interview!

(Helen) Kiaya said...

Aww, I loved A Match Made In High School, and now I love Kristin Walker a little bit more. :)

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I love My Chemical Romance,Famous Last Words and
OK Go, This Too Shall Pass as well. Great picks!and hahahahaha to "I'm Late! I'm Late!"

Mandy said...

I think its cool that she hit up Robin Benway about music, I loved her book (:
A match Made In Highschool has been on my wishlist for forever

throuthehaze said...

Great post! Queen and David Bowie definitely rock :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this book!!! It was a quick read for me.. Great interview!