Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rock This! Thursday with author Judith Graves

This week we have author, Judith Graves, hanging out with us to discuss her debut novel, Under My Skin, and music! 


How does it feel being a debut author?

In musician’s terms…like I’m performing at a huge outdoor music festival, with a band I just formed in the parking lot—on 2 minutes of rehearsal time. It’s either going to be the penultimate gig of my life or one stellar train wreck.

When writing your novel, were there any songs that fit the theme of it? If so, could you share some with us?

I did have a formal UMS playlist, but that was way back in my 6th draft…lol…scenes changed and so has the tunage. Here are a few gems (in no particular order, but you won’t find a country tune in the mix):

-      When the Stars Go Blue” – Ryan Adams version thank you very much
-       Hurt - Johnny Cash version (and he doesn’t count as country. Cash is just cool.)


You're walking down the street - what song is following you?

Usually some unknown melody that I’m frantic to record before I forget it. So I’ll call home and leave a message something like: Hey, baby, it’s just me. Ignore this, but don’t delete it: dododobabababdodooowannnn….

Who is your favorite singer/band? Why are they you're favorite?

I have too many favourites and find new music to love everyday. But I’m a chick of extremes. I have a hearty hatred for country music...and a weakness for 80s rap (I know! Why me??!)

What would be a band your main character, Eryn, would sneak out and hitchhike a ride to go see in concert?

Eryn is more of a horror movie buff – she (oddly enough) shares my dislike of country music, but she’d be more inclined to sneak out after Redgrave’s dreadful 9:30 p.m. town curfew to catch a midnight showing of The Exorcist. If Redgrave had a movie theatre. (She’s so deprived, it’s not funny.)

Tell us a song that would make an interesting book?

“Moondance” by Van Morrison – the lyrics are so epic. Seriously, there’s a gothic story there. :)

First concert you ever went to?

Ah….nothing will ever beat this. David Bowie - Glass Spider Tour. Edmonton. Outdoors at the Coliseum.

Have you experienced any 'rock star' writing moments?

In UMS, there’s one line that I consider my written-word rock slide across the stage. I made it the tagline for the entire Skinned series. “A normal life? Now that’s the real fairytale.” I believe that no one is, or ever has been, normal. Normal is as good as dead. Normal is the true myth. Normal is so not me.

We're always up for new music. Care to share five songs we should be listening to?

See answer to #2. And if you’re feeling brave, you could check out a few of my tunes with various awesome folk-rock bands – somewhere on my website…www.judithgraves.com (Yeah, I’m pitchy, live with it.)

If you could meet one musician - living or dead - who would it be and why?

Robert Johnson. I’d like to get the scoop on the whole deal with the devil thing, wouldn’t you?


Find Out More About Judith Graves at:
Publisher’s Website www.leapbks.com
Class of 2k10 website  www.class2k10.com
Free Read:  Old Flames Die Hard       http://www.leapbks.com/exclusives/ofdh.html


8 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Cool post :)

Sara said...

Wonderful interview!

Oh and you have an award over at my blog :)
http://sarasbookjourney.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-awards.html

Anonymous said...

I love that playlist. The Arkells!! The Weepies!! Death Cab!! I am going to go listen to these songs right now.

Judith Graves said...

Thanks for having me, guys. Your blog ROCKS!

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

80's rap??!!! LOL I can't picture that....Can't touch this!!! Oh man, the memories :)

Judith Graves said...

Yup, Hammer's good, but there's also Funky Cold Medina and Walk This Way and Let Your Backbone Slide...lol...party people in the house!

Unknown said...

very nice interview. book sounds interesting! Be sure to check out my new book also!

ally said...

I love Judith... We've tweeted back and forth a few times and she seems like a very nice and interesting person! Her playlist only confirms it =D Tegan and Sara, Death Cab for Cutie and The Who are some of my fave artists ;)