Monday, March 1, 2010

A Match Made In High School by Kristin Walker

A Match Made In High School by Kristin Walker


Release Date: February 2010
Publisher: Razorbill
Genre: Young Adult - Comedy
Pages: 277
Source: 


Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: Jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer. Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.

---

Kristin Walker doesn't miss a beat in her hi-freakin'-larious debut novel, A Match Made In High School.

When I first cracked this book open and read chapter one, I had a smirk on my face. Then my smirk turned into chuckles, and by Chapter 3 - I was laughing so hard I about peed my pants! This book was chalked full of  hilarious moments that really fits my type of humor.

Fiona is one of the best main characters I have read in a while. She's not a popular girl, but she isn't shy one either. I like that whatever she was thinking also came out of her mouth. If someone gave her crap, she gave it right back. Now, sure, that did put her into some sticky situations with her best friend and others, but I think it only made her more real. I completely related to her and her sarcastic witty self.

My favorite part of this book was Fiona and Todd (or should I say Princess PissPants and Senor Shitslacks). They made this book come to life! How they bounced off one another, the pranks they pulled, it was the strangest and best boy/girl relationship I've read.

I normally have a "but" in my reviews, but this one, I have no complaints. All the other characters, Johnny, Marci, Gabe, and Amanda were all very unique and I loved their individual voices. Heck, even the parents were a riot to read!

I liked how this wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. Sure, there was a few things I called, but for the most part I was really surprised!  I don't think there could have been a better ending, and really, I never wanted it to end. It was so much fun! I know I sound like a fan girl here, but I can't help it.

I'm recommending everyone go pick up a copy of this book. You need to read this!

♥amber

6 comments:

I Want To Read That said...

Yay! I really loved this one too. I glad I wasn;t the only one laughing so hard I almost peed my pant! Thanks for the great review:)

Sandy said...

I felt the same exact way. :)

And LOL, I loved their nicknames. Their banter was awesome!

Anonymous said...

I really liked the unpredictability factor as well. Great books for sure. :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

No complaints? Cool! :)

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

I really liked this one too, it just made me laugh so much! Great review!

Anonymous said...

I loved this book!!