Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Crossing the Tracks by Barbara Stuber
Release Date: July 2010

At fifteen, Iris is a hobo of sorts – no home, no family, no plan. After her mother’s early death, Iris’s father focuses on big plans for his new shoe stores and his latest girlfriend, and has no time for his daughter. Unbeknownst to her, he hires Iris out as housekeeper and companion for a country doctor’s elderly mother. Suddenly Iris is alone, stuck in gritty rural Missouri, too far from her only friend Leroy and too close to a tenant farmer Cecil Deets, who menaces the neighbors, and Iris suspects, his own daughter.

Iris is buoyed by the warmth and understanding the doctor and his mother show her, but just as she starts to break out of her shell tragedy strikes. Iris must find the guts and cunning to take aim at the devil incarnate and discover if she is really as helpless- or hopeless – as she once believed.

---

I saw this posted on the 10ers site with the cover and was all sorts of curious of what it would be about. The synopsis sounds like my kind of read! And I also live in rural Missouri and haven't read a YA book (that I remember anyways) based in my area so that's really neat.

♥amber

6 comments:

Brittany said...

This sounds pretty interesting, and I love the cover. Thanks for the heads up.

prophecygirl said...

I like the sound of this one. I think I heard about it a few months ago, but I can't remember where. Great pick!

Sab H. said...

Interesting!! Adding it!

I like the layout! ;D

Thao said...

I'm not really attracted to the plot but the cover is gorgeous.

Test said...

I'm looking forward to this one too. Great pick!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great read and I love the cover!