Thursday, January 14, 2010

Review - Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood

Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood by Eileen Cook

Release Date: January 2010
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 272
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Around the World Tours


Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

In the final weeks of eighth grade, Lauren Wood made a choice. She betrayed her best friend, Helen, in a manner so publicly humiliating that Helen had to move to a new town just to save face. Ditching Helen was worth it, though, because Lauren started high school as one of the It Girls--and now, at the start of her senior year, she's the cheerleading captain, the quarterback's girlfriend, and the undisputed queen bee. Lauren has everything she's ever wanted, and she has forgotten all about her ex-best friend.


But Helen could never forget Lauren. After three years of obsessing, she's moving back to her old town. She has a new name and a new look, but she hasn't dropped her old grudges. She has a detailed plan to bring down her former BFF by taking away everything that's ever been important to Lauren—starting with her boyfriend.


Watch out, Lauren Wood. Things are about to get bitchy.

---

Three years is a long time to find a way to bring down your ex-bfff. At times I was raising my eyebrows wondering if Helen was really just on a revenge hunt or if she might have a few screws loose.

I was a little weary on how this was all going to be pulled off. Helen is supposed to have changed so much in the past three years that no one will recognize her and she even enrolls in school by a completely different name. My first thought was: Can she really look so different that no one in this school would remember her? It was kind of a stretch, but then I remembered people I went to school with who look completely different so yea, I can buy into that. But even at the end of the story, I still think Lauren would have caught on after at least a week considering the author did put some good backstory friendship between them into the read.

I couldn't help but cheer Helen on through the story because Lauren really wasn't someone I liked. She's definitely 'one of those girls' - you know the type if you went to high school. But I did like how Helen still kind of kept who she was even while she was playing out her alter ego Claire. The writing flows so easy with all these quirky and comical moments that it does make for a quick read. The only thing was after I was done reading the book, I felt a little disappointed. I thought some of the revenge tactics were a bit mild and I guess I just assumed this book would have more of an umph to it. All in all though, it was still a good read and one I would recommend.

♥amber

4 comments:

Monster of Books said...

I've heard a lot of things about this book. It sounds interesting!! Great review!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this is my kind of book. Great review!

aqtbenz said...

I gave you an award!

http://qtbookworm.blogspot.com/2010/01/happy-101-award.html

Anonymous said...

Great review.. I really want to read this book! The cover kind of reminds me of the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard