Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Season of Eden by JM Warwick

A Season of Eden by JM Warwick (aka Jennifer Laurens)


Release Date: October 2008
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 244
Source: Around the World Tours


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible. I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.

---

I know there are a few novels floating around out there that deal with a teacher/student relationship, but this is the first one I've read before. I really enjoyed this book, but there is just one thing that bugged me about it. Eden was a great character, but it seemed like the moment she saw Mr. Christian she was suddenly this 'too mature for her boyfriend and everyone else' type of person. This was just all by taking one look at her choir teacher, way before they even got to know one another. Later on, I did see that Eden was in fact a very mature person, but I just wish there was a little bit more background on her and boyfriend, Matt. Maybe I would have understood why she was with him better.

Now moving on to all the parts I really enjoyed. As wrong as the whole student/teacher relationship is, this book made me want these two get together. I'm so glad the author made James (Mr. Christian) a twenty-two year old, I think any older probably would have made me kind of feel awkward while reading it. The whole forbidden love and attraction between these two really showed. I was so surprised how easily I got caught up in with everything that went on between the two. I recommend this one to everyone!

♥amber

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I agree with everything you said! She just kind of ditched her friends and boyfriend after meeting Mr. Christian. But I was rooting for their relationship too! I really wanted it to work out, because I could feel the chemistry between them! Awesome review!
And I love your layout!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oooo teacher student things creep me out. Thanks for the great review :)

prophecygirl said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've never read a book that deals with a student/teacher relationship (I don't think), so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one deals with it.

Natascha De Marco said...

I so want to read this, good review girl ^^

Anonymous said...

I want to read this one. Great review!

Sandy said...

I can't wait for when it's my turn on the tour! Nice review ;)

Daisy Whitney said...

Hi Amber:

I bought this book because of your review and just read it and truly enjoyed it! Thanks so much. I'll be linking to your review in my post!

Daisy