Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rock This! Thursday with Wendy Toliver

Every Thursday we feature books that are about or centered around one thing we love the most: music! Once in a while we'll even throw in a concert story, music you should hear, or have an author stop by to hang out with us. If you are an author or blogger that would like to praticipate in Rock This! Thursday, shoot us an email! justyourtypicalbookblog(at)hotmail(dot)com

This week we have author Wendy Toliver with us. Wendy is the author of Miss Match, The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren, and her latest novel, Lifted, which will be released in June.


You're walking down the street, what song is following you?

"Windy" by the Association, but of course! LOL

Let's say that Sasha from Miss Match and Roxy from The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren just so happened to run into one while waiting in line at a concert. What band/singer are they seeing?

Great question! The Black Eyed Peas.

Who is your favorite band/singer? Why do you love them so much?

It's so hard to narrow down! I guess the ones I'd pick are because they make me feel so alive. I think I'm going to go with Prince (his song "Kiss" is my good luck song before I audition for a part and try as I might, I can't help but dance and sing along)





What is your favorite book that is about or centered around music?

I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone by Stephanie Kuenhert.



Tell us a song that you think would make for an interesting book.

"Fly on the Wall" by Miley Cyrus.

When writing, do you make playlists for your novels? If so, care to share some songs from one of them? 

I don't make official playlists, but I do have songs/music I like to listen to while I'm writing a particular book. For The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren, I listened to Justin Timberlake and The Ataris. For Miss Match, Britney Spears and Gwen Stefani. For Lifted, Lady Gaga, Evanescense, and, of course, "Got Caught Stealin'" by Jane's Addiction.

We're always up for new music. Tell us five songs we should be listening to.

Heartless - Kris Allen version
Little Bit - Lykke Li
The Fear - Lilly Allen
Anything by Kaskade or Danielle Vaughn.


If you could meet one musician - dead or alive - who would it be? 

Elvis

You've been given a golden ticket that can transport you to any concert from any year. Where do you end up at?

Woodstock, for sure.

Lastly, tell us one thing you love about music.

I love how music can make you have to sing and dance, cry or laugh, or feel the need to kiss someone special. I love when it transports me to another place far away from my everyday life, whether it's the stage of a rock concert or a nook in a little cottage in the woods.

8 comments:

brizmus said...

I somehow keep forgetting about I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone, although I NEED to read it, as I am a HUGE Ramones fan.
And I''m totally with her - that Miley Cyrus song would make a GREAT book!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Elvis! Nice choice!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I'm off to add her Siren book to my TBR list.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the awesome interview!

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Awesome interview, Wendy! And thanks for the shout-out about my book!

Wendy Toliver said...

I had such a great time doing this! Thanks for featuring me! :)

Nina said...

Great questions! Now i need to go to youtube and check out the songs. :)

Erika Powell said...

another great interview, i too love IWBYJR