Monday, April 27, 2009

Review - Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens


Released: August 2009
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Genre: Young Adult - Angels
Pages: 280
Source: From Author


Rating: ♥♥♥♥


Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe's lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying.

Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny.

But Heaven and Earth can't last forever.



This is the first time I've read a book that dealt with angels and the first time I've read anything written by Jennifer Laurens. I'm pretty much sold on both of them now. I didn't expect to adore this book as much as I did. And I didn't think a story about a guardian angel could feel more real to me than any other books I've read in the past couple of months. I know a lot of it has to due with the main character Zoe.

Zoe is in a way is your typical teenager. She hangs out with her best friend, flirts with boys, and parties. The root behind why she's doing it is because it's the only escape she has from her home life. It's not that her parents fight, it's that she has a little sister who is autistic. Having a family member, especially one that your so close to can really put a number on someone. The constant worry, the somewhat guilt, frustration, all of it I could identify with.

While Zoe is dealing with her tug of war emotions, she meets Matthias. A 'person' only a few select people can see. And trust me, you will be grinning when he makes his appearances. Might have something to do with that 'heavenly glow' he had.

The book isn't all just a love story as it is also about a family trying to put back the pieces that most of them weren't even aware were broken. Zoe even in her not so great decisions has a very good heart. Luckily angel boy is there to show her that side. There was something quite hopeful about this book. After you read it, you'll be wanting a guardian angel of your own.

When I got to the end of this book I shouted out a what?! Then I read the sneak peek into the sequel and shouted out another what?!? I'm looking forward to seeing how the storyline is going to play out in the next book! There are three book trailers for Heavenly, and a few months back I posted my favorite one, and I'm posting it up here again for this review:





♥amber

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to read this one. It's in my tbr pile.

Great review!

Cindy said...

I've heard only good things about this book, can't wait to read it :)

prophecygirl said...

You've really made me want to read this now. It sounds brilliant!

jenniferlaurens said...

Thank you so much for the review!

-jennifer laurens
www.jenniferlaurens.com