Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rock This! Thursday: Author Interview with Lara Chapman

I'm very excited because today I have Lara Chapman, debut author of Flawless here to discuss her book and music!

You're walking down the street - what song is following you?
BEST. QUESTION. EVER! Probably “Stronger” by Britney Spears.

How does it feel being a debut author?
Like an out of body experience. I can’t believe people (who aren’t related to me) are actually reading something I wrote… and liking it!

What made you want to write for the young adult genre?
I began submitting to contests and getting a lot of comments like “your heroine sounds like a teenager,” so I decided to try my hand at YA. It was a perfect fit for my voice – I can’t imagine writing anything else.

If Flawless had a soundtrack, what songs would we find on it?
I’ll Stand by You by The Pretenders
I’ll Be There for You by Bon Jovi
Big Girls Don’t Cry by Fergie
Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae
Happy by Leona Lewis
I’m the Only One by Melissa Etheridge
Beautiful by Christina Aguilera
Halo by Beyonce

How long did it take for you to write Flawless?
Not long! I spent about a week storyboarding and wrote the first draft in about six weeks. That’s just how I write… total focus until it’s done! Lots of all-nighters and emailing my awesome critique partners. I took about another month to revise before submitting.

I know when I'm writing there are days where I just want to choke my characters. Did you have any difficulties when writing Sarah?
All the time! I would get so frustrated with her. I just wanted to scream, “Tell Rock how you feel!” But that’s the beauty of writing fiction – your characters (when fully developed) create their own path. It’s like raising kids – you hope they’ll do the right thing and that they’ll be happy, but ultimately it’s all about being true to yourself.

Did you pull any real life moments into Flawless?
The things in FLAWLESS that are closest to my reality are Sarah’s journalism and English teachers and her relationship with Kristen.

The teachers are a combination of my favorite high school teachers and college professors. The greatest educators are the ones that show us how to live a life of meaning outside the classroom and that’s what these teachers represent to me.

Blessed with two remarkable best friends, I know how valuable those relationships are. We’ve been best friends for over thirty years and I couldn’t imagine a day in my life without them. The same is true for Sarah and Kristen – they rely on one another in ways they don’t even realize.

Who is your favorite band or singer and why are they your favorite?
I’m a total music junkie, so this is really hard! I love Eva Cassidy because her voice brings me to tears. Kelly Clarkson is my go-to for “chick” music and Jason Aldean makes me want to fall in love. When I’m in need of a pick-me-up, Bon Jovi does the trick every time!

Have you experienced any 'rock star' writing moments?
Well, I live in a really small town and it doesn’t take much to get “famous” in that kind of setting. At open house this year, a student’s mom asked me for my autograph! I’ve also received some amazing comments from bloggers who’d read the ARC and loved it. I won’t lie… it’ll make a girl giddy!

Thanks so much for stopping by, Lara! If you want to know more about Lara and where to buy her book, check out the links below!


Website | Twitter | Amazon | Goodreads

No comments: