Saturday, February 5, 2011

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting
(Book #2 in the Body Finder series)


Released: February 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal - Mystery/Thriller
Pages: 368
Source: Around the World Tours


Rating: ♥♥♥.5

The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.

When Violet Ambrose's morbid ability to sense the echoes of those who've been murdered leads her to the body of a young boy, she draws the attention of the FBI. She is reluctantly pulled into an investigation that will endanger more than just her secret...but her relationship and possibly her life as well.


---


Kimberly Derting is a wonderful writer. I'm always amazed by her descriptions and the simplistic eeriness The Body Finder series has. I haven't ran across many good mystery type of books in young adult. I'm sure there are probably a lot out there, maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. But if you love a more mystery thriller then you do need to check this author out.

In Desires of the Dead, we're back in Violet's life after she escaped a near death experience with a serial killer. Even though a bit shaken, Violet is still enjoying her life with her yummy new boyfriend, Jay. I was so excited to see Jay again. Their relationship is such a deep one seeing as these two have been friends since they were children, and truly do care and love one another.

Violet's sense of echoes and the secret she has kept well hidden captures the interested of a woman named Sarah from the FBI after Violet places an anonymous call about a body she had came across. I was all very interested in how this plot would leave, but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I did in the first book.

My main problem was Violet not really telling anyone about what was going on. I know the book gave it explanations and obviously if she would have told Jay or anyone in her family about everything right off the bat then the book wouldn't have been the way it was, but it just seemed out of character. And while the first book had me always guessing, this one didn't as much. It felt more like it was setting up for something a bit bigger to go down in the third installment.

In the end I did enjoy this book, and if you've read the first book (why haven't you read the first book yet?), you'll want to read this one too. I'm very curious of where Kimberly Derting plans on taking this series, and of course, I'm always excited to see more of Violet and Jay.


Kimberly Derting lives in the Pacific Northwest, which is the ideal place to be writing anything dark or creepy...a gloomy day can set the perfect mood. She lives with her husband and their three beautiful (and often mouthy) children, who serve as an endless source of inspiration for her writing.






Webpage | Twitter | Amazon | Goodreads

♥amber

3 comments:

Sara said...

I haven't read this one yet, but I've been dying to ever since I read the first one. Really lovely review! The Violet not telling anyone what's going on might bother me a bit, but I guess I'll just have to see. :)

Sab H. said...

Not as good as the first? *cries* I still have to read it tho! :)

Unknown said...

Since I loved, loved, loved the first book, I'm really looking forward to this one. I was a little disappointed to learn that the second book isn't as good as the first, but that often seems to be the case with the second book in a series. Thanks for the great review - you've got me clicking the "pre-order" button at amazon!