Thursday, February 10, 2011

Author Interview: Kimberly Derting

Have you always written suspense type novels?
I’m not sure exactly which category the first novel I wrote fell into, mostly because it was a mess, but I do remember there was some suspense in it! Thankfully for readers, this novel remains locked away forever. :)

One thing that I loved about The Body Finder was seeing the point of view from the killer. (And sure, it pretty much creeped me out but in a good way.) Are we going to see anything similar to that in Desires of the Dead?
There are some chapters from another POV, but it’s very different from TBF. I don’t want to say too much, so I’ll just leave it at that!

How much has Violet's life changed since the events that happened to her in the first book?
Actually, I think it’s changed pretty dramatically. Not only is Violet now dealing with her best-friend-now-boyfriend changes, but she also has to decide what to do with her ability, which is weighing heavily on her.

What was the first idea that sparked Violet's story?
My husband contributed the following sentence to TBF: “What if there was a boy who could find dead bodies?” Of course, the longer it’s been since that day, the more his version of his contribution seems to change. Now when our friends ask us this same question, he will tell them (jokingly, I hope!) that he practically co-wrote it!

Violet and Jay definitely became one of my favorite couples through The Body Finder. Will be seeing more of their relationship in the sequel?
Yes, we will definitely see more of their “relationship” in the sequel.

How’s that for a teaser? ;)

A good one! What are some of your favorite young adult reads?
OMG, this is always the hardest question because there are SO MANY!!! I just recently discovered City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, and am reading City of Glass now (love it!). But I also loved Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, and the upcoming A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young.

Have you experienced any 'rock star' writing moments?
Yes! So, I was fortunate to get to go on the Supernatural Summer tour for HarperTeen last year, and when I arrived at the airport in Dallas, HarperTeen had a driver waiting with a cardboard sign that said “Derting”. Not only did I feel like a rock star when I saw it, I asked the driver if I could keep the sign. It was very exciting, although I’m pretty sure that real rock stars wouldn’t ask to keep the sign, LOL!

Lastly, tell us five random things we'd never know about you:
  • For many years, I would only eat chocolate on Christmas day.
  • When I was kid, our house was the target of a drive-by shooting.
  • I have an unhealthy addiction to a snack called Pirate’s Booty (it is pure, cheesy deliciousness in a bag).
  • I don’t like to be barefoot, even in my own home.
  • I do this weird thing with sandwiches and burgers, where I almost never eat the last bite. It isn’t a “crust” thing, it’s just a “Kim” thing.

Thanks for stopping by, Kimberly!

♥amber

1 comment:

girlsinthestacks.com said...

Kim is great! We actually meet her on that tour in Dallas! She and Shannan became "BFFs" over some skittles at a B&N.