Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Author Interview: Suzanne Young

Guys I am so freaking excited to have Suzanne on the blog today! I adored her debut novel, The Naughty List and love how quirky she is just in general via her blog.

You're walking down the street - what song is playing?
Hm… probably something from The Black Keys (Sinister Kid), or maybe Radiohead’s Karma Police.

What was the first idea that sparked A Need So Beautiful?
A sick family member and a stranger who helped me through it with just a random conversation. It sparked the idea of the Forgotten.

Did you make a playlist for A Need So Beautiful? If so, could you share a few tracks with us?
I did have a playlist, but I wrote it so long ago, I’m not sure if the songs really work. But here’s what I’d have on a new playlist:

She Talks to Angels- The Black Crowes
The Scientist-Coldplay
Iris- The GooGoo Dolls
Just Breathe- Pearl Jam
Closer- Kings of Leon

I know in writing some days you just want to throw in the towel or choke a character or two. Who was the most difficult character to write?
Definitely Monroe Swift. His character was really complex because his motives were never clear, at least until the end. So sometimes I thought of just killing him off. haha

Many songs tell a story. What song do you think would make a good YA novel?
I love Tracy Chapman’s Fast Car. The lyrics are so bittersweet and Tracy puts such heart and soul behind it. It’s amazing.

If Tessa from The Naughty List and Charlotte met up, do you think they would be friends?
I think Tessa could be friends with anyone. But I doubt their friendship would last long. Charlotte is trying to keep a secret, and Tessa thrives on DISCOVERING secrets. So I think Charlotte would stay clear of Tessa and the Smitten Kittens.

You've been given two golden concert tickets to see any band from any era. The only catch is that you have to take one of your characters from any story with you. Who are you taking and who are you two going to go see?
Well, I’m definitely bringing Harlin. I’m scared of motorcycles, but I think I’d be safe with him. Then we’d have donuts and go see The Beatles. And then take the long way home.

I know from your blog and via twitter you are an Eddie Vedder fan. What is your favorite song by him? Mine is Guaranteed :)
Oh, I love Guaranteed! I really love The End on the Backspacer album. I love Black and Corduroy, as well. Oh, heck, I love most anything that Eddie sings.

Tell us five random facts about yourself:

1. I name my dogs after 80’s TV show characters
2. I haven’t read any of my books in book form
3. My favorite food is candycorn
4. I have a superhuman sense of smell
5. My favorite vacation was to the Grand Canyon

Have you experienced any 'rock star' writing moments?
Not many, to be honest. I remember early on meeting a girl who recognized me from my blog—and she was dying to read The Naughty List so I gave her an ARC. She was over the moon and I felt kinda cool for a second. Haha. I’m pretty accessible to bloggers and readers here in Portland so they’re used to seeing me by now. So I think my rockstar days are over.



♥amber

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I can't wait to read A Need so Beautiful! And Suzanne has an AMAZING TASTE in music!!!

prophecygirl said...

Coldplay, Kings of Leon and The Black Keys? Suzanne, you have rockin' music taste!!

girlsinthestacks.com said...

We LOVE Suzanne!!! We did a podcast with her awhile back, she is just the sweetest. Her love of Eddie has just cemented her BFF status with me.