Monday, June 1, 2009

Review: The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine

The Dead Girls' Dance: Morganville Vampires Book Two by Rachel Caine

Release Date: April 7, 2007
Publisher: NAL Jam
Pages: 256 pages

Claire Danvers has her share of challenges - like beina a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains, dealing with the homicidal girls in her dorm, and above all, finding out her college town is overrun with vampires. On the up side, she has a great roommmate (who tends to disappear at sunup) and a new boyfriend named Shane...whose vampire-hunting dad has called in backup: cycle punks who like the idea of killing just about anything.

Now a fraternity is throwing its annual Dead Girls' Dance and - surprise! - Claire and her equally outcast best friend, Eve, have been invited. When they find out why, all hell is going to break loose. Because this time both the living and the dead are coming out - and every body's hungry for blood.





In the second book, Rachel Caine keeps the ball rolling. This series is like crack. Once you start reading, you cannot put it down, and you are fiening for the next. (Not that I know what crack is like by the way, I'm just guessing here.)
The worst of what Claire's problems seem to be is that Shane's half-psycho dad is back on a revenge mission, and it looks like they all seem to be in the way. Then you add Monica who is still ten shades of crazy, plus a whole bunch of other stuff swinging out of left field that I can't mention because it will ruin the book for you, but that's exactly what I'm loving out of this series! There was only one thing that I predicted on what was going to happen. Rachel Caine does a great job of keeping you on your toes with this one.
Character wise...I'm still loving everyone. You can see the slight changes and the effects of what's going on in the town on how everyone is acting. One thing I enjoyed was seeing Eve being a force of nature you really wouldn't want to mess with especially if it involves her friends. Claire is still a great character to see this world through, and might I mention I am somewhat pleasantly surprised that she maintains a forgiving heart so to say. Michael...holy crap! *zips lips because everything will be spoiler related* And Shane...I just love him. End of story.
There has been some choices made and some secrets revealed which only means crap is going to be hitting the fan in Morganville! And I for one am excited to dive right into once my order from amazon comes in the mail. (Sorry if this is kind of fangirl like, but expect that in future reviews dealing with this series.)
♥Amber

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want to read this series!

ally said...

AGHHHH.... I just finished Glass Houses a couple of weeks ago and have yet to get DGD. I'm feeling very impatient right about now.