Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Review - Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Released: October 2009
Pages: 400
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal - Fallen Angels

Rating:  5 out of 5 stars

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.



With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.


For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

---



Let me point out how beautiful the cover is. It just screams: I am awesome and you should read me! What it’s screaming is true. It was nearly impossible for me to put this book down. When I did have to put it down, I kept wondering what was going on.
 
The plot was excellent! I think fallen angels are going to be my new favorite thing to read about. Maybe other people are good at pegging the good guy and the bad guy, but in this story I wasn’t for sure. One minute I thought someone was good and then the next things would flip around. I loved how the author threw in some great twists and kept everything rolling.
 
I’m just going to dive right into Patch. I think this is the first time I've probably cared more about the guy then the MC. The attraction and yet fear of him Nora has was written very well. She shouldn’t like him. I shouldn’t have liked him. Somehow she’s drawn to him and this made me drawn to him. He was cocky, dangerous, could possibly be a psychopath, and pretty much took the cake on bad boys. There is no gray area with him though. You’re either gonna love him or you’re gonna hate him. If you hate him, you're probably not going to enjoy this story. I can see why a lot of people wouldn’t love him for all the reasons I just listed. But what can I say? I'm a sucker for a bad boy.

As for side characters, I had a love/hate relationship for Nora’s best friend, Vee. She did bring a lot of comical snarky moments into the story. At first, I really enjoyed her, but sometimes I raised my eyebrows thinking this is what a best friend acts like?!

After I finished the book, I realized there was something bugging me. And it was Nora. I’m not for sure if it’s because I got so caught up in the plot and wanting to know more and more of what Patch was going to do that I basically overlooked her. She was an easy character to see what was going on through, but at the same time I didn’t think she was developed as much as she should have been. It was like at times she was just along for the ride. I hope in the second book she’s developed more and maybe not so naïve about things. Another thing is I'm not compeletely sure I'm buying into Patch's feelings towards Nora yet. While I did have some concerns and raised eyebrows at some points - I cannot wait to read the sequel and find out what's going to happen to these two next.

--Also my friend Brittany has just started a book and graphics blog. I'm going to share two of the banners she made for Hush, Hush. While reading the story, I kept picturing Ethan Peck as Patch so I was super giddy when she made this. Take a looksie:




And this one...*swoons* *faints* *dies*




Go check out Britt's blog, The Ultimate Dumpees, to see more!

Also don't forget to swing by the Hush, Hush fansite: Fallen Archangel.


♥amber

11 comments:

Jessica B said...

Yay! Glad you loved it like I did! I kept picturing him as Patch too!

prophecygirl said...

Great review! I love both the book and Patch :D

Thao said...

Very balanced review :) I love it and I love your friend's graphic too.

Thao said...

Very balanced review :) I love it and I love your friend's graphic too.

Briana said...

Oh.My.Gosh! I love that graphic! It is soo good! And exactly how I picked Patch, that guy is hot. Anyway..great review! I am so glad you liked it! Its pretty amazing! :)

-Arielle

Tales of Whimsy said...

O I like her choice for Patch :)

Natascha De Marco said...

I thought this was very enjoyable too ^^

Glad you liked it!

Becca Fitzpatrick said...

EEEK! I love the graphics!

And you know what? I'm so glad you said you're not buying into Patch's feelings for Nora yet. Can't wait to see what you think of the sequel!

Becca

Mommy Metropolis said...

I'm so nto reading the review yet, lol, in case their are spoilers but thanks for posting some of my graphics! I just bluhsed like mad when I read the reviews above, lol.

Patricia's Particularity said...

I agree that the cover just "screams" at you to read it. I loved this book! I loved not knowing who was the bad guy or who was the good guy until the right moment towards the end, and even then you still wonder if the good guy is really the good guy. I love how Patch is not a "good" angel like we all think angels are. Great Review!

latishajean said...

The cover is what got me to look at this book once I read what it was about I had to read it. Patch was also my favorite in this book. This book had me all the way to the end. I can't wait to read the next one :)