Friday, May 22, 2009

Read My Lips by Teri Brown

Read My Lips by Teri Brown


Released: June 2008
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Pages: 256
Source: Bought

Rating:
♥♥♥



Popularity is as easy as a good secret.



Serena just wants to fly under the radar at her new school. But Serena is deaf, and she can read lips really well-even across the busy cafeteria. So when the popular girls discover her talent, there's no turning back.


From skater chick to cookie-cutter prep, Serena's identity has done a 180...almost. She still wants to date Miller, the school rebel, and she's not ready to trade her hoodies for pink tees just yet. But she is rising through the ranks in the school's most exclusive clique. With each new secret she uncovers, Serena feels pressure to find out more. Reading lips has always been her greatest talent, but now Serena just feels like a gigantic snoop...

---


What peeked my interest in this book was the idea of having a main character that was deaf. I know Serena was supposed to come off as insecure, and that's why she went along with what the popular girls wanted her to do, but I didn't really buy it. Maybe because she had such a great sense of humor and came back with snappy saying. She knew since she was deaf she did stand out in the crowd, but I really was surprised she went along with everything. At the beginning of story she seemed more solid than that.

The relationship part of the story between her and Miller were my favorite. And kudos for the author not making Miller have some disability of his own. Sure he had the anger problem, but hey, I'm one of those girls that love a bad boy. He expected Serenea for how she was and who she was. I also liked how for the most part the popular clique with their secret sorority weren't all a bunch of snatches. Overall, the story wasn't bad. I really loved the characters, but the plot just wasn't for me.

♥amber

4 comments:

Erica said...

Good review! I really liked the relationship between Miller and Serena as well.

prophecygirl said...

This sounds like an interesting book, especially with the bad boy. Gotta love 'em!

Anonymous said...

Great review. I like the cover for whatever reason.

TJ Brown said...

Thanks for the review! And the first thing girls ask when I am speaking in schools is, "Is Miller real?" LOL
Teri