Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell

Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell


Released: February 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Genre: Young Adult - Ghostly Paranormal
Pages: 192
Source: 1 Arc Tours

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars


Iris is ready for another hot, routine summer in her small Louisiana town, hanging around the Red Stripe grocery with her best friend, Collette, and traipsing through the cemetery telling each other spooky stories and pretending to cast spells. Except this summer, Iris doesn’t have to make up a story. This summer, one falls right in her lap.


Years ago, before Iris was born, a local boy named Elijah Landry disappeared. All that remained of him were whispers and hushed gossip in the church pews. Until this summer. A ghost begins to haunt Iris, and she’s certain it’s the ghost of Elijah. What really happened to him? And why, of all people, has he chosen Iris to come back to?

---

Off the bat I completely fell in love with the setting of Shadowed Summer. Saundra Mitchell did a fantastic job with writing Louisiana, the people, and not making the whole southern accent or anything seem forced. I felt like I lived in this small town with Iris.

I liked how while this book was about the ghost of Elijah Landry, it was also about one summer where Iris grows. The friendship between her and her best friend, Collete, is so realistic. Iris is still wanting to stay the same while Collete is chasing after boys and what seems like growing up way faster than Iris. I loved how it brought me back to that age where the world starts to change without you even realizing it.

The ghostly aspect of the story was done well. I loved the sudden twists of events towards the end. If this book was out when I was a younger teen, I know it would have been one of my favorites. I'm not saying you have to be a younger teen to enjoy this. I think this is the type of book all ages can read and will enjoy. When I was younger,say 11 or 12, ghost stories and messing with that sort of thing was what I loved to do. Because it brought me back to those days, I actually envisioned Iris to be around that age. My only fall back on this book was how slow paced it was. Lately I've been wanting a faster read. Besides that, it's still one I would recommend.

♥amber

No comments: