Sunday, July 10, 2011

Something Borrowed: Why it was awesome.

First, lemme just say that I'm probably going to be very MIA this month due to too much going on in life.

A few years back I picked up a copy of Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin at the library. The thing I didn't expect going into the story is actually rooting for Rachel and the fact she was having an affair with her best friend's fiance. That just goes to show you how talented Giffin is an author to be able to make me do that. In real life, I'd be kicking some butt and taking some names. Never rooting ANYONE that what happened between Rachel and Dex was okay, but somehow in this story, I found it okay.

When I heard there was going to be a movie, I was so excited. Even though it's been out in theaters for a while now, I hadn't been able to get to the theater in time. Thankfully there's a "last chance" theater where tickets are dirt cheap ($3 - holla!), and it was still playing there.

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!

I had been meaning to re-read Something Borrowed before I saw the movie. I wanted to know what was changed, be able to point it out. Honestly, I don't remember what all changed in the movie. I'm okay with that. For once, the movie was just as good as the book. It made me fall in love with these characters all over again. You wanna know why it was great? Not because a friend was cheating. Not because hearts were broken. Because it's truly a great story about love, friendship, and how if you want to be happy with your life, you've just gotta take the plunge. Now I'm not saying jump into bed with your best friend's fiance. I'm saying with just life in general.

I thought the casting of the movie was perfect. I was a bit weary of Kate Hudson playing Darcy. Not because I didn't think she couldn't pull it off, but just surprised she was in another "bride" type of story. Ginner Goodwin was PERFECT for Rachel! She's adorable like how I pictured Rachel being. Always out of the spotlight but you love her anyways. When her and Kate busted out their "Push It" dance it just had me cracking up because when it comes down to it, in a warped way, this is one of the best stories of friendship I've read/watched.

Colin Egglesfield had the charm that Dex had. I just kept grinning like a monkey during his scenes. The only thing I object to is that hideous sweater he wore the first week at the beach. No man. At any time. Should EVER wear that. So wrong. So, so very, very wrong.

And dude, Steve Howey chalked up the douchyness of Marcus like crazy! All the little actions he had and that stupid story about the chipmunk. Was that in the book? It seems like it was, but it was killing me!
While I loved each and every character, you know who my favorite was? Ethan. John Krasinski stole the freaking show. I don't remember Ethan being as witty, and even if he wasn't, he'll always be as witty as he was in the movie for me.

So yeah, basically this is my half-attempt at some sort of post to discuss an awesome book/movie. I plan on re-reading Something Borrowed before I watch the movie when it comes out on DVD. (Sometime in August, I do believe.) So if you haven't seen the movie yet, read the book. Even if you have seen the movie, go read the book. Then go grab Something Blue because in Something Borrowed, I didn't care for Darcy. Sure I thought her and Rachel's friendship was very real, she still ticked me off. But in Something Borrowed, Giffin made me love and accept Darcy. I'm tellin' ya people, this author is a straight up genius.

4 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

So glad to hear it's good. I've totally had my eye on this one.

Natascha De Marco said...

I loved this movie too, but I was rooting for Steve Howey the whole time, screw the main love guy, he wasn't as awesome!

Erica said...

I love last chance/budget theaters - ours is $2 it's lovely.

I still need to see this one, I'm super excited to. I just want to read the book first!

Sab H. said...

I have not read this! Should I read it before watching you think?