Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rock This Thursday with Alyxandra Harvey

You're walking down the street - what song is following you?
“Trouble is a friend”, Lenka ;)

What was the inspiration behind Haunting Violet?
The idea for Haunting Violet popped into my head when I was reading about fake séances in the 1870’s. I could picture Violet reluctantly working for her mother and how confused she would be if she ever found out ghosts were actually real. Once I had that question in my mind, I just felt compelled to answer it!

Did you make a playlist for Haunting Violet? If so, can you share a few tracks with us?
I do usually make playlists for my books. I wasn’t in the habit of it back when I wrote Haunting Violet, but I did listen to a lot of Classical music, especially Baroque.

Who are some of your favorite authors?
So many! So, so many! A smattering includes Jane Austen, Mary Oliver, Holly Black, Terri Windling, Charles de Lint, Patricia McKillip...

What is a genre you don't ever see yourself writing?
Gory horror. Heavily Science-based Science fiction. Crime novels.

Was the switch between vampires and ghost easy for you?
I actually wrote and sold Haunting Violet to Bloomsbury before I’d even written the first Drake Chronicles, before I even knew there would be such a thing as the Drake Chronicles series.
I really love the paranormal genre and all of the great mythic creatures we can play with. I’m grateful to be able to explore it more fully!

What was the first story you ever wrote about?
I can’t really remember since I was about 9 years old. But by thirteen I was writing these long fantasy quest books and “myths” explaining why leaves turn red in autumn and stuff like that. Also, very bad rhyming poetry. Just saying.

Tell us five random facts about yourself:
1- I don’t like using exclamation points. But for some reason on blogs and interviews I! Keep! Using! Them!

2-I helped a big weird looking turtle cross the road today

3-I hate coriander. With a deep and abiding passion. Hate.

4-I am a vegetarian

5-Best dessert: my mom’s apple pie

A lot of songs tell a story of some sort. What's one song you think would make a good YA novel?
A fab question! I used “Killing Moon” by Echo and the Bunnymen for “Hearts at Stake”/ ‘My Love lies Bleeding” but I tend to choose songs like that midway through a book. Maybe a Morrissey song. I know people say he’s depressing but he makes me laugh.

Have you experienced any 'rock star writing' moments since you've been published?
I think my rock star moments would include seeing reader-made videos for the books, a song someone wrote for The Drake Chronicles and signing someone’s arm. Very cool! Also, once, on book tour, I actually had no idea what city I was in.

Thanks so much for stopping by, Alyxandra! If you would like to know more about her and her books, please check out the following links:

No comments: