Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Author Interview: Jennifer Echols



You're walking down the street - what song is following you?
Next Year by Foo Fighters

Was it weird writing about a writer?
No, it was easy, because I knew how that character felt.

Many songs tells a story. What song do you think would make a good novel?
So many country songs! That’s why I like to listen to the country station sometimes.

Out of all the books you have out now, is there one that's a bit more special to you then the rest?
My favorite is always the one I’m writing at the moment.

Did you make a playlist while writing Love Story? If so, could you share a few songs from it?
Yes, and it is awesome.
Sunday Best by Augustana
Lonely Day by Phantom Planet
Conspiracy by Paramore
There for You by Flyleaf
The Royal We by Silversun Pickups
7/4 (Shoreline) by Broken Social Scene
Little Secrets by Passion Pit
California by Phantom Planet
The Only Exception by Paramore

What's one thing you hope readers will take with them after their finished reading Love Story?
Sometimes we are the least respectful and communicate the worst with the people we love the most.

You're given two golden concert tickets that will take you to any show from any decade. The only catch is that you have to take one of your characters from one of your novels. Who are you taking and who are you two going to go see?
I would take Summer from Love Story, because she is so much fun, and we are going to see my favorite band here in Birmingham, TOTAL A$$ET$, a funk band made up of middle-aged bankers.

What was the first idea that sparked Love Story?
A long time ago I was in a creative writing class with an adorable boy who wrote a very sexy story and made all the girls in the class fall in love with him.

Were there any troubles you had with writing Erin and Hunter's characters?
Not really. Once I planned this story, I could see them very clearly.

Have you experienced any 'rock star' writing moments?
Any time I finally figure something out after agonizing over it for a long time!

4 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I adore country. They always tell amazing stories. Great post!

I'm curious, how much of the story takes place in Kentucky?

amber d* said...

Juju - Only flashbacks and back history. Both characters move to New York from there.

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

hahah I love how she got the idea for the story! What a smart guy ;)

Sab H. said...

Yeah! Foo Fighters :)