Thursday, July 14, 2011

He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott

He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott
(He's So/She's So Trilogy - Book #2)


Released: June 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Pages: 360
Source: Bought
Buy: Amazon


Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥


In He's So Not Worth It, Kieran Scott manages to umph up the drama, develop the characters, deliver a kick-butt plot, and makes this sequel even BETTER than She's So Dead To Us.

Oh yes, I just said that.

Usually I find sequels a bit so-so in a triology. They are necessary to transition the plot and the characters to lead you up to the final book - the big sha-bang. But He's So Not Worth It was just fan-freaking-tasticaly amazing! No doubt this is one of the best contemporary series I've ever laid my eyes on.

When we left our lovely Ally, Jake, and the Cresites crap had hit the fan and spun around all over the place. And it doesn't look like it's going to stop. The book opens right where the first one left off - Ally's dear old dad who had been MIA for two years without even a phone call just chilling out on her and her mother's doorstep like they were supposed to welcome him back with open arms. Ally's dad infuriated me with his way of thinking things were going to be the same in this family. My heart broke for Ally because as much as she was ticked to see her dad, she was also excited too. You can't blame her for it.

Ticked that Jake's grades were slipping, his mom grounds him for the summer. No shore vacation for him. Instead he's stuck having to get a job, not being able to see Ally and trying to get through the summer. I am so glad that this series is told from both Jake and Ally's point of view. If it wasn't told  by Jake's point of view, I think I would have fallen completely out of love with him. Jake is the type of guy that has sincere thoughts and you know he's a good guy, but when he opens his mouth, he doesn't quite know how to express what he wants to say. It's been a while since I read the first book, but he is so hilarious in this one. Especially when it comes to his job, like this passage:

"I'd been working at Jump, Java, and Wail! for exactly fifty-seven minutes. There was already a patch of sweat on my neckline, I'd cut my finger closing the pastry case on it, and gotten screamed at for trying to serve a doughnut I'd dropped on the floor. Apparently no one around here has heard of the five second rule." (page 94)


While Jake is getting chummy with another Crestie, Ally is trying to get used to what may be her new life. Staying with her mother at her boyfriend's shore house is definitely taking a toll on her. We see Ally rebelling like no other! She meets some locals, one in particular named Cooper. I loved Cooper and his gang of beach bums. Things don't stay all fun in the sun for long though. Ally's got a lot of choices to make and just not with who she wants to be her boyfriend. There's big-time family decisions, and as the summer stretches on, she has to figure out what kind of person she wants to be.

From reading both Jake and Ally's point of view, and spending a good part of the summer away from one another, I was getting scared. I LOVE LOVE these two together. One of my favorite YA couples, but it was nice to see them apart because I felt like I got to know them more as the book transitioned. These two have a lot of hot and cold feelings towards one another, and normally in books that kind of thing drives me nuts. BUT Kieran Scott somehow masters this story where not only did it never once get on my nerves, it felt completely real. All characters, even the side ones make such an impact to the story and are all so well-rounded. And believe me guys there is so much more to this story than what I've briefly went over. The touches of Ally's friend Annie's journal entries as she scopes out the Crestie life were a perfect fix. There is never a dull moment in those entries. You get the delicious gossip plus some straight out hilarious moments.

AND THAT ENDING!!! Oh Kieran Scott, you are the Devil, I swear! If you thought the cliffhanger was massive in She's So Dead to Us, you ain't seen nothing yet! Like I stated on Twitter, if the world ends in 2012 before the third book comes out, I'm gonna be on pissed off chick. If you're a fan of contemporary, or heck if you just want to read something awesome, then you'd be stupid to pass this series up! Go out and read it now!

♥amber

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I NEED to get this book right now! I loved She's So Dead to Us, and I seriously need to go out and buy He's So Not Worth It right now!

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

hahha I absolutely love this series too, Jake is so yummy. You are right, having his perspetive is really necesarry because he's not just a hottie! Annie's notes crack me up. Awesome review for an awesome book :D

Unknown said...

I have Book 1 in my TBR pile, but it hasn't quite made it to the top yet! This will have to be fixed soon because your review makes me want to read Book 2 ASAP! It's not often you have a couple spend time apart, and I find that concept rather fascinating. Especially since you felt that you got to know them each as individuals :)

Thanks for such an awesome review!

Sab H. said...

I need to get my hands on this series! :p

Kelly said...

Great review! I was already looking forward to reading this book, but now I'm even more excited for it. I loved the first book, and I'm so glad to know that the second book in the series is better than the first.

xo Amanda said...

I have got to get my hands on this book! Thanks for sharing!!

I also review books (chick lit) on my blog. Next week I have a couple author interviews and a giveaway, check it out!!

chicklitthenewblack.blogspot.com