Thursday, November 26, 2009

Candor by Pam Bachorz

Candor by Pam Bachorz

Released: September 2009
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 256
Publisher: Egmont
From: 1 ARC Tour

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Oscar Banks has everything under control. In a town where his father brainwashes everyone, he's found a way to secretly fight the subliminal Messages. He's got them all fooled: Oscar's the top student and the best-behaved teen in town. Nobody knows he's made his own Messages to deprogram his brain. Oscar has even found a way to get rich. For a hefty price, he helps new kids escape Candor, Florida before they're transformed into cookie-cutter teens. But then Nia Silva moves to Candor, and Oscar's carefully-controlled world crumbles.


---

This is the first time I've read anything that had a Sci-Fi vibe to it. It's also been a while since I've read a book that had an all male point of view to it. I'm glad I stepped out of my little comfort zone of reading because this book was great!

You get a very creepy vibe while reading what's going on in Candor. While being around people that are very perky and polite might sound ideal - it's actually quite freaky. Plus the fact that everyone wear pastels makes me think Easter threw up on the place.

I really liked Oscar and his daily fight against the Messages. When bad girl Nia showed up, I instantly liked her. At first I thought the relationship between the two of them was rushed. But the more I read, the more I realized that Nia was the only thing close to Oscar's type of normal. She also carries that head strong trait that Oscar had, and I was rooting for both of them throughout the book. Pam did a wonderful job building both these characters up, and even the side characters like Mandi and Sherman. I never found them to be background noise like some novels I've read.

By the time I reached the last couple of chapters, my eyes weren't able to read fast enough. The plot was fantastic, but in the back of my head I just knew I had this book pegged on what would happen. When I reached the end, I was completely surprised! Candor is definitely a book you need to pick up.

♥amber

4 comments:

Bleuette said...

Great Review!:) It sounds like a good read!

http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/

Adriana said...

Your review makes this book sound really good!

Thao said...

I agree. It got cooler at the end of the book!

Christa said...

This book was fantastic. : ) I, also, was a little concerned about Nia & Oscar's relationship at the beginning - I didn't just want it to be "convenient" you know? But by the end, I was convinced. : )

So... do you think there will be another? And even if you don't, do you hope there will be?

: D