Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Review: Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Glass House by Rachel Caine (Book #1 in Morganville Vampire Series)


Released: October 2006
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Genre: YA
Pages: 247
Source: Bought

Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

{Welcome to Morganville, Texas. Don't Stay Out After Dark.}


It's a small college town filled with quirky characters. But when the sun goes down, the bad comes out. Because in Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows - one that will spill out into the bright light of day.


Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. The popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks on the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. And Claire really doesn't have the right connections - to the undead who run the town.


When Claire heads off campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...

---


When I first started the book, I wasn't for sure if I would enjoy it. Claire, being a sixteen year old genius was being picked on so to say by a group of psycho popular girls led by a psycho named Monica in the dorms at her college. When the second chapter hit, I was hooked, and wasn't able to put it down!

I absolutely love the way Rachel Caine writes her characters. It was so easy to see what was going on through Claire's eyes, and it felt like I was right there along with them. I did question why she wanted to stay with all the crap going on, but by mid book, I understood it. She was not a quitter. The roommates at the house were awesome. Each of them had their own voice, and you got a feel of them by their first introduction. Between Goth girl Eve who is the biggest sweetheart ever. To Michael who I was already drooling over with his guitar and very curious why he only slept days - I loved them!

Then there was Shane. Sweet bejeez, did I become a fangirl to Shane. I'm not for sure if it's his attitude, his trouble past, his willingness to help others out, or me completely loving whatever came out of his mouth. All of it was the perfect package for my character whore self.

Really the book is so easy going, and I loved the action/suspense that it held. Finding out who was good and who was bad with the mix of surprises - it's just WOW! I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys the feel of vampires and a paranormal world. I will give you a warning though, if you start liking the first book, go pick up the second book immediately. Or you will be like me, with no second book, and dying to know what happens next!

♥amber

3 comments:

Iryna said...

I've heard good things about this book, but I never felt the urge to read it until I came across your review. Thanks!

prophecygirl said...

Woohoo - another Rachel Caine fan! I love this series. I'm glad you enjoyed it.. they get better and better!

Cindy said...

Oh it sounds so good, can't wait to find it :)