Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Teaser Tuesday


Title: Uninvited
Author: Amanda Marrone
Genre: Young Adult - Fantasy



When rejection comes back to bite you...

Jordan's life sucks. Her boyfriend, Michael, dumped her, slept his way through half the student body, and then killed himself. But now, somehow, he appears at her window every night, begging her to let him in.

Jordan can't understand why he wants her, but she feels her resistance wearing down. After all, her life -- once a broken record of boring parties, meaningless hookups, and friends she couldn't relate to -- now consists of her drinking alone in her room as she waits for the sun to go down.

Michael needs to be invited in before he can enter. All Jordan has to do is say the words....


Teaser from Chapter One:

I've wounded him and catch myself before a satisfied smile emerges on my face. I'm long past trying to understand what Michael does to me. Making me wish he were here in my room - in my bed - again, then the next minute making me relish the hurt in his voice. But I won't beat myself up for bruising his ego. He's made me his prisoner every night, and I'm glad when I can get a dig in.

"Damn it!" he growls, startling me. "I'm sick of talking. Let me in!"

He suddenly shifts his weight and slaps his palms against the glass. I flinch like it's me he's hit. I try to shrink away form him and sink back into the mattress. God, why did I say those things?

My mouth dries to the paper as I suck in the cold air pouring in over the sill. I make myself as small as possible and freeze into place. So far the window has barred his way. But that damn inch. I imagine him with new cat eyes that can see in the dark, noticing the currents of air playing around the opening. Does he know what I did - can he see? Is that small opening invitation enough for him to enter?

"Jordan," he croons. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I just miss you so much. I just want to be with you."

He jumps to the ground, and I melt into the bed.

I'm shaking, but I won't pull up the blanket. I need to feel the cold; I need to feel something besides the ache I get when he leaves me. I hate myself for wanting him, for feeling flattered it's me he haunts every night.

Three months now I've talked to him through the window. Three months I've conjured his face from the time when he was mine. I see his chestnut eyes, his brown curls, his white, white teeth, and full mouth. I put that face on over the shadows and imagine we could start over.

But the leaves are falling and soon Michael will sit on bare branches. Moonlight will finally find its way to his face, and I'll see what I know is true: that Michael is a monster.

I'm just afraid that one of these nights I might let him in.

---You can also read the first five chapters at:

No comments: