Sunday, February 22, 2009

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox was started by The Story Siren, and it's been fun to see what everyone is getting/reading - so we're jumping on the bandwagon!



Amber's Mailbox:

We just started, so we don't exactly get lots of books in our actual mailboxes yet, but here is what I have bought as of recently:

Title: The Dust of 100 Dogs

Author: A.S. King

In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping the pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with "the dust of one hundred dogs," dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body-with her memories intact.

Now she's a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.

--I first saw this book on myspace then just about everywhere else after that. When I saw the book trailer, I knew I had to get this! The plot is definitely one that interests me and I'm excited to see how it will all play out!


Title: What Would Emma Do?

Author: Eileen Cook

While juggling friendship issues (her best friend isn't speaking to her), a love triangle-turned-square (okay, maybe she shouldn't have kissed her best friend's boyfriend...but it was totally an accident!...sort of), and escalating mayhem in her small religious town (uh-oh...what would Jesus do?), Emma realizes she has to stop trying to please everyone around her and figure out what she wants for herself. It's time to start asking, "What would Emma do?"

--While I was at Barnes & Noble one night (actually looking for The Dust of 100 Dogs - they were out), I found this! I had seen it up on a few places, opened the first page, and was already loving it. The whole Are You There God? vibe is intriguing, and one I think I'll easily slip into.



Title: Dead Until Dark

Author: Charlaine Harris


Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

--When the book first came out, I read some of it, but was too wrapped up in MaryJanice Davidson's Betsy: Queen of the Vampires series to get myself in this one. I know the True Blood show is amazing - or at least that's what I hear, because I'm apparently the only person on the planet that doesn't have HBO. So when I saw this at Wal-Mart (my po-dunk's town only version of a book store), I grabbed a copy.


Title: In Too Deep

Author: Jennifer Banash


The Bramford building’s newest resident and small-town transplant Casey McCloy is adapting to life in the Big Apple and loving it. She’s got the look, the attitude, and a delish new boyfriend, Drew Van Allen. But she’s starting to have second thoughts as to whether the “New York” Casey is the real Casey. And she’s not so sure she likes herself much anymore. She’s not the only one. Madison Macallister has always had her Manolo Blahniks firmly planted on the top rung of the social ladder—until that corn-fed cow Casey stole Drew away from her and made her look the fool. So what if Madison wasn’t exactly dating Drew at the time? She wanted him. And everyone knows that Madison gets what she wants, like Drew—and a little revenge.


--Annnd....this last book I didn't buy, but was lucky enough to win a copy from Jennifer Banash's blog. (Even luckier that she still let me have it since I didn't respond - stupid life getting in the way of me and the computer.)First, I gotta say the cover is beautiful! This is the second book in The Elite series, and I have read many great reviews on it. Another one I'm excited to see how it all pans out!



3 comments:

Bookworm said...

Dust of 100 Dogs looks amazing...

Erika Powell said...

these are some great books. happy reading!

the story siren said...

What great books!! And thanks for participating in IMM!! I'm looking forward to see more from you guys!