Thursday, February 24, 2011

Rock This! Thursday with My Girl Friday

Hi! I'm Steph from My Girl Friday and am absolutely thrilled to be guest-posting for Rock This! Thursday. I'm a huge fan of this feature because it combines a few of my favourite things (and yours as well, I'm sure) - music and books.

Recently I read Lish McBride's debut novel Hold Me Closer Necromancer. Without going into a complete re-hash of my own review, I adored this book! Lish puts a fresh spin on the paranormal genre, writes well-developed characters and has this awesome balance of snark and smarts. One of the other aspects I loved of the novel was that every chapter was named after a song title (or was part of a song lyric). Now I know sometimes this device can be a bit corny, but in Necromancer it really worked and each song is kind of perfectly selected and really capture the 'feel' of the novel. So I thought creating a blog-mix-CD would be a fun way to share some of my favourite song picks from Hold Me Closer Necromancer (and with a mix of rock, alternative rock, new wave, hair metal and country, hopefully there's a little something for everybody). Enjoy!



Dead Man's Party - Oingo Boingo


"I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder
Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive"


Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) - Marilyn Manson (originally perfomed by the Eurythmics)


"Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
Travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something"

Lil Red Riding Hood - Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs



"What big eyes you have
The kind of eyes that drive wolves mad
So just to see that you don't get chased
I think I ought to walk with you for a ways"

I Put A Spell on You - Creedence Clearwater Revival
(originally performed by Screamin' Jay Hawkins)


"I ain't gonna take none of your foolin' around,
I ain't gonna take none of your puttin' me down"

The Devil Inside - INXS



"Every single one of us,
the devil inside"


Kick Start My Heart - Motley Crue




"When I'm enraged
or hittin' the stage,
Adrenaline rushing
through my veins"

(Don't Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult



Come on baby,
(Don't fear the reaper)
Baby take my hand,
(Don't fear the reaper)

Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants


"and while you're at it
keep the nightlight on inside
the birdhouse in your soul"

Rusty Cage - Johnny Cash (originally performed by Soundgarden)


"You wired me awake
And hit me with a hand of broken nails
You tied my lead and pulled my chain
To watch my blood begin to boil"

Back in Black - AC/DC



"Forget the hearse 'cause I'll never die
I got nine lives"

3 comments:

Jessica B said...

Dying to read this book, and the playlist is epic!

girlsinthestacks.com said...

What a great playlist!

Anonymous said...

Jessica - thank you! Definetely recommend reading it

GirlsintheStacks - aww thanks, glad you enjoyed it!