Thursday, August 5, 2010
Rock This! Thursday: Let's talk music covers.
Sometimes though I'll stumble across a cover that reminds me of why I disliked them for so long. I got a text earlier this week from my best friend Shell telling me Brett Michaels did a cover of Sublime's What I Got. I immediately had to hear it.
I've never been a huge Brett Michaels fan, but the dude has a giood voice so I was willing to give him a try even though Shell told me it wasn't that good. I went to Youtube with an open mind and came out with bleeding ears. From the intro to the guitar to the "mother-truckin' riot" - it's just bad. If you haven't heard it for yourself yet, click here to give it a spin.
I thought about doing a post of other covers that make my ears bleed, but I decided one bad cover was enough for the week so instead I'm sharing five random favorites of mine.
1. Seether covering Amy Whinehouse's Rehab
- Seether can do no wrong in my eyes. I love how they are always covering the most random songs.
2. The Grateful Dead covering Buddy Holly's Not Fade Away
- I've literally been listening to the Dead since I was in the womb. I adore Buddy Holly so this cover just does it for me.
3. Audra Mae covering Bob Dylan's Forever Young
- This song is absolutely beautiful. I first heard it at the end of Sons of Anarchy and have been in love with it ever since.
4. Social Distortion covering Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire
- Cash is the man. There's not doubt about it, but this fast paced spin makes me jump around and sing at the top of my lungs.
5. Framing Hanley covering Lil Wayne's Lollipop
- I'm not a big rap fan. I was a semi rap fan in high school, but my main love has always been for rock. I actually heard this cover before I heard the original song. It's just awesome.
So how about you? Is there a cover that makes your ears bleed or a cover that you are head over heels with?