Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rock This! Thursday: Let's talk music covers.

Today we're going to do something a bit different and just discuss music. Covers to be exact. Once upon a time I hated covers. Sure there were a couple songs out there I enjoyed, but for the most part I just couldn't stand listening to them. Now a days I'll give any band or singer a try especially when it comes to Seether (the love of my life).

Sometimes though I'll stumble across a cover that reminds me of why I disliked them for so long. I got a text earlier this week from my best friend Shell telling me Brett Michaels did a cover of Sublime's What I Got. I immediately had to hear it.

I've never been a huge Brett Michaels fan, but the dude has a giood voice so I was willing to give him a try even though Shell told me it wasn't that good. I went to Youtube with an open mind and came out with bleeding ears. From the intro to the guitar to the "mother-truckin' riot" - it's just bad. If you haven't heard it for yourself yet, click here to give it a spin.

I thought about doing a post of other covers that make my ears bleed, but I decided one bad cover was enough for the week so instead I'm sharing five random favorites of mine.

1. Seether covering Amy Whinehouse's Rehab


- Seether can do no wrong in my eyes. I love how they are always covering the most random songs.

2. The Grateful Dead covering Buddy Holly's Not Fade Away


- I've literally been listening to the Dead since I was in the womb. I adore Buddy Holly so this cover just does it for me.

3. Audra Mae covering Bob Dylan's Forever Young



- This song is absolutely beautiful. I first heard it at the end of Sons of Anarchy and have been in love with it ever since.

4. Social Distortion covering Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire



- Cash is the man. There's not doubt about it, but this fast paced spin makes me jump around and sing at the top of my lungs.

5. Framing Hanley covering Lil Wayne's Lollipop



-
I'm not a big rap fan. I was a semi rap fan in high school, but my main love has always been for rock. I actually heard this cover before I heard the original song. It's just awesome.

So how about you? Is there a cover that makes your ears bleed or a cover that you are head over heels with?

♥amber

7 comments:

Mindi Scott said...

It's weird. Even though I KNOW that the Social Distortion song is a cover, I still kind of forgot.

Also, I can't listen to Social D without thinking of Seth McCoy. Not EVER. ;-)

I used to be a huge fan of Dynamite Hack's "Boyz in the Hood." Mostly because of the juxtaposition of the hardcore lyrics and the mellow way they perform it.

Erika Powell said...

Matt Nathanson does a cover of ROmeo and Juliet by the Indigo Girls that makes me so happy. It is freakin awesome.

Llehn said...

Awesome sauce! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Awesome picks for music.. I love Seether!! I love Seether's song Fake It!
Great picks.. And awesome post!

girlsinthestacks.com said...

BIG Johnny Cash fan so I like Personal Jesus by Johnny Cash (Depeche Mode). I also like Mrs Robinson by The Lemonheads (Simon and Garfunkel).

girlsinthestacks.com said...

How could I forget ABBA-Erasure!!!! That was one of my favorite high school albums.

Llehn said...

Just an update to let you know that I loved some of the songs here that I bought them on iTunes! Now I've got a new playlist thanks to you :D