Thursday, June 17, 2010

Rock This! Thursday Interview with author Lee Nichols

Rock This! Thursday is a weekly feature we have where we discuss books that are about or centered around one thing we love the most: MUSIC! Once in a while we'll even throw in a concert story, a band/artist you should hear, or feature bloggers and authors in an interview.

If you are an author or blogger who would like to participate in Rock This! Thursday click here.



Where did the idea of Deception come from?

Wanting to write a contemporary gothic novel with a kick-butt heroine.

You're walking down the street - what song is following you?
The only thing I can come up with is Staying Alive. The Wyclef Jean version. I don't know what that says about me. Probably nothing good.

I know some authors make playlists for their novels. Did you have one for Deception? If so, can you share a few songs with us?
I think Elbow's Mirroball makes a good theme song. And I played over and over a couple songs with nasty lyrics that I'd probably get in trouble with parents for posting. Let's just say the refrain from one of them was "I'm a bad man.”

Did you base your main character Emma off of anyone you know?
No. I almost never write about people I know.

Name a song that you think would make an interesting read.
Good question. Why aren't more movies based on songs? I'm sort of obsessed with Elbow lately. They've got a song called Grounds for Divorce that would make a great, but sad film. I think the song is about alcholism and a friend who recently died, but it has so many great lyrics that could mean anything. I'd love to write a paranormal YA novel inspired by the line "There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall." Where does it lead? Someplace cool. And the "Seldom Seen Kid" would be such a great title. And I love the line, "I've been working on a cocktail called Grounds for Divorce," though should say, this has nothing to do with the state of my own marriage.

How many books are going to be in this series?
Three. BETRAYAL comes out next March and hopefully the third book, POSSESSION will be out late 2011.

You're given a golden concert ticket to see ANY band from ANY decade - who's it going to be?
That's like asking me to pick my favorite novel. I just can't make a decision.

Finally have you experienced any 'rock star' writing moments?
Only in my own mind.

5 comments:

girlsinthestacks.com said...

He (I assume lee is a boy?) sounds fun. How was Deception?

A Book Adventure said...

Nice interview, looks like a good book :)

girlsinthestacks.com said...

Hahaha! Lee is a girl, that is what I get for assuming!

Llehn said...

Gothic novels are awesome!

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to get my hands on a copy of this book since I seen the cover and read the description months ago!! I can not wait to read it.. Great interview!