Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rock This! Thursday with Blogger: Handle Like Hendrix


Every Thursday we feature books that are about or centered around another thing we love: music! Once in a while we'll even throw in a concert story, music you should hear or have an author stop by to hang out with us.

Today we have book blogger, Callie, who runs Handle Like Hendrix (love the blog name!) answering a few music questions for us.





-Do you have a favorite book that is about or centered around music?

I read alot of music biographies and autobiographies and I really loved Slash's memoir, Slash. And the autobiography of Aerosmith, Walk This Way. And the Nirvana biography by Everett True. As for fiction, Junk AKA Smack by Melvin Burgess takes place just after the punk movement in the UK so it has some elements of punk rock.


-Is there a song or certain lyrics that describe you?

Probably 'You talk about things that nobody cares/you're wearin' out the things that nobody wears' from Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith. Because what I wear is very different, often one of a kind stuff and alot of the time I can go on and on about music and you know, some people aren't into that.


-We're always up for new music. Tell us five songs we should definetely be listening to:

There are SO many but here are some:

-Hangman Jury by Aerosmith

-Ophelia by the Band

-Cinnamon Girl by Neil Young

-Life on Mars? by David Bowie

-All Day and All of the Night by the Kinks




-Who's your favorite band/singer? Why are they your favorite?

Aerosmith. I love Steven Tyler's voice and I love blues and their songs are just great. They are like so rock n' roll and they were one of the first big American rock bands. I really like how Joe Perry's guitar solos aren't too long and over the top and I even like their newer stuff too.



-Do you have any guilty pleasure bands/singers on your iPod, MP3 player, etc?

I recently switched over from iPod to a simple walkmen after itunes kept deleting my music. Well it's not usually the kind of music I like but the Season 1 Gossip Girl soundtrack I really like.

-What was the first tape or CD you bought?

I'm guessing it was something like Jump 5. I wouldn't reccomend listening to them. But I used to because sadly I was not always into classic rock.



-If you could hang out with one musician - living or dead - who would it be and why?

Kurt Cobain. I think we'd really get along. And I hope so because I always say I would rather know someone famous I admire as a friend and not a fan.




-What was the first concert you attended?

Oh gosh haha, Hilary Duff. I don't even know if I'd consider that a concert though. It is something that I really regret.


-Lastly, what is one thing you love about music?

I love how it makes me feel. When I am singing with a microphone to the music I love wheather it's Guns n' Roses or Bob Dylan, or playing guitar in my room, I feel at ease. And it's so great.


*If you are an author or blogger that would like to be featured for Rock This! Thursday, just shoot us an email: justyourtypicalbookblog(at)hotmail(dot)com

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey! I added in a request form so if you could fill that out, that would be wonderful!!! (so I can keep track of addys easily)

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged! http://insertbooktitle.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-was-tagged-woot-woot.html

Amy said...

I really love your header pic! Lovely stacks of books... Oh, and nice converse ;-D
Great interview! Classic rock is the best (after oldie love songs, of course...No artist can out sing paul anka=)
It would be fascinating to talk to kurt cobain. He seems so deep and smart. That's the problem about being smart- sometimes you over think things. Anyway, that's my theory on why he killed himself, though it was probably a combination of many things.
-amy